How to pick a field?

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

How to pick a field?

Postby Blue Falcon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 pm

This will be my second year trying to goose and I really want to be successful. So I was wondering how you guys go about picking walk in access fields? I don't really know what crop geese like most or if you have to be right by a large body of water. Any tips you guys have would be awesome. Also what is the minimum amount of decoys usually needed to get geese in close?

Rob

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Blue Falcon
hunter

Re: How to pick a field?

Postby bandhunter20 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:27 pm

it really all depends on the conditions and the time of year. in the early season i hunt hay fields; alfalfa, grass, barley. usually spread consists of 6-7 dozen decoys in family groups. in the early season so from now until it starts getting cold you want some space between your decoys. in the late season i hunt corn and stubble fields, also winter wheat is killer but hard to hide in. when the lessers and cacklers arrive i throw out 10-15 dozen decoys and use heavy calling. call til they fall. when the late birds get here (greeters) you still want bigger spreads but keep calling to a dull roar. windy days it is good to hunt up wind of their roost and close to it. hunting near a roost (big body of water) is usually always good unless your seeing them fly a good distance to feed. to sum it all up you cant go wrong with corn. Good luck
Waterfowl hunting isn't a hobby, its a way of life.
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Re: How to pick a field?

Postby Blue Falcon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, that info will help alot with finding some WIA land. Hopefully I can scout some that is not getting pounded.
Blue Falcon
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting