colorado duck hunting...

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

colorado duck hunting...

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:27 am

hey all,

my wife and i are thinking about relocating to colorado in the next year or so. i was wondering about the different hunting opportunities that are available out there. i know you all have some good big game hunting, but what about the ducks? do you guys mainly hunt puddlers, etc.? what types of numbers do you have? we are considering the denver, colorado springs, boulder areas. thanks in advance.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:16 pm

The great thing about this state is the amount of hunting of different species that you can do in one morning.

For example:

dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:27 pm

But if you want ducks, go to Arkansas! We don't have any ducks here. :getdown:

dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:11 am

:eek: well then. Nice dukhnter7
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:53 am

dukhntr7,

it looks like y'all have big ducks. are the mallard numbers pretty high on public property or is this private property your having this success on? what other species are abundant in that area? btw, great pics!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:39 pm

Earlyseason there are alot of teal as well as mallards, wigeon, spoonies, with the occasional wood duck, pintail, gadwall and assorted divers. If you do your scouting there are plenty of good public places to limit out on whatever you are after. Most people just don't put the time into scouting.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby dukhnter7 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:43 pm

Don't forget about turkeys!
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:34 am

wow, nice bird. i think i might like this colorado relocation thing..:). where in colorado do you hunt?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:45 pm

Depends. Duck goose and phesant are best in the ne part of the state. I got that turkey just west of Durango in the SW part of the state. I hunt deer and elk in the Kremling area (about an hour and a half nw of Denver). I usually hunt antelope around Craig in the nw corner of the state. You can hunt just about anything within an hour or two drive from Denver. I do alot of my duck and goose hunting about 20 minutes from my house. Not all of the days are like the pictures though. I go out plenty of times and maybe get one ot two birds. But it is days like those pictures that keep me going back! :salude:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:45 pm

SWEET!
tstrong
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:14 pm

This season's opener, two of us limited out on 8 different duck species. 1 pintail hen, a greenwing, a shovler, 2 scaup, 2 wigeon, 2 Gadwall, a greenhead & finished with a double of redhead drakes (we each shot one). Second best trip of the year. But like dukhnter7 says, you need to do your homework.
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby tstrong » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:38 pm

You have done well Grasshopper!
tstrong
hunter

moving soon as well

Postby txdukhtr » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:50 pm

This is the first time I checked out the colorado page...because i live in the great state of Texas. Until I found out that I was going to be moving to the Colorado Springs area. I was pumped to hear about the numbers of different species yall have to hunt. Down here there are all sorts, but I mostly kill mallards, teal, and woodies. Im sure Ill be asking for plenty of advice as the season rolls around next year...Im looking forward to it. Clean those guns, Store the Dekes, Hang the Waders...and start wishing for next year!!!
Take em
txdukhtr
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:06 pm

Clean those guns, Store the Dekes, Hang the Waders...and start wishing for next year!!!

Not yet!! 2 more weeks of Goose hunting!
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby Cupp » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:52 pm

A word of caution for you guys looking at Colorado Springs...the drive for ducks, geese and pheseants is LONG!!! While there are some good places to hunt, the Springs is in the middle of all of them, and close to NONE of them. Be prepared to drive 2-3 hours, atleast, to get to the good spots. The public areas in the NE (where i do most of my hunting) are about 2.5 hours from the Springs. I would recommend the Denver, Thornton, or Greely ares to be closer to the hunting, b/c the drive is very tough, especially if the weather and roads are bad.

The goose hunting here is phenominal, if you can get access to the good hunting land. Ducks are hit and miss...the mallard population rarely reaches 100K (that's not that many when they are spread over 150 miles of river and reservoirs). But the hunting for mallards can be great occasionally and bad occasionally. The pics make things look great, but that is not always the case.

BTW...for you SC boys...I am from Manning and grew up hunting and fishing on Lakes Marion and Moultrie. :salude:
Cupp
hunter

Postby tstrong » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:04 pm

I took my son on the jr hunt last weekend here in calif. He almost got his limit but his chin hit the desk when he saw your pics.
tstrong
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:17 pm

Cupp wrote:...

BTW...for you SC boys...I am from Manning and grew up hunting and fishing on Lakes Marion and Moultrie. :salude:

judging by your location (and profile... :smile: ) you're at the academy. i hope things are going well for you there. when did you leave manning? i know a lot of people over there from legion baseball and softball.

you say you have hunted marion & moultrie. for ducks i presume? i am just getting started hunting locally and would appreciate any info you might be willing to share... :thumbsup:
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Cupp » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:26 pm

shrpshtr wrote:
judging by your location (and profile... :smile: ) you're at the academy. i hope things are going well for you there. when did you leave manning? i know a lot of people over there from legion baseball and softball.

you say you have hunted marion & moultrie. for ducks i presume? i am just getting started hunting locally and would appreciate any info you might be willing to share... :thumbsup:

Wow...what a small world. I checked out your profile and website, and it was a nice trip down memory lane!! I see you played for the P-15s...my parents still live in Sumter and are big P-15 supporters. Growing up I split time btwn. Manning and Sumter. Looks like you and your wife graduated from Sumter High, I used to live about a mile from the school. I actually went to Laurence Manning and Clarendon Hall though. I left Manning at the end of 1997...l ived in Ca for 4 years (best Duck hunting in the country BTW, IMO), and have been here since 02. Actually not at the Academy though, I am stationed at Peterson Air Force Base.

I think I know you from somewhere...but i can't be sure. Did you ever used to do computer work in Sumter...or do you still?

Anyway...now that the trip down memory lane is done :mrgreen:

Well I haven't hunted there in a long time, but we used to knock 'em pretty good in Potato Creek hatchery (near Wyboo). Also, jack's creek is usually pretty good, and we always did good north of the trussel at Packs when the SCWA was shooting there ponds. I know of a few other places too, but would have to give you details on where they are b/c we may call the places different things.

Good talking to you man...take care and let me know if you have any questions about this area.

BTW...you need to get your daughter a real cheerleading outfit...one with a TIGER on it!!!
Cupp
hunter

Postby Cupp » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:42 pm

Thought i'd post a pic of one of the good days for me and the pup here in Colorado...

Cupp
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:47 pm

Cupp- Have you ever hunted around John Martin Res? I have some friends that go down there a couple times a year and slaughter the ducks.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:44 am

cupp,

it is a small world. where did you live in that area? my wife used to live right on Garrison Street, behind the high school. i lived in Warwick Estates which was about a mile down the road from there.

i used to work for Entre' computers. now i am at Tuomey and it has grown tremendously over the last few years. we're like a $350 million organization now with 3 different buildings at the main campus. this place doesn't look the same from when i started here 6 years ago.

PM me when you have a second. btw, great pic!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Cupp » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:00 pm

dukhnter7 wrote:Cupp- Have you ever hunted around John Martin Res? I have some friends that go down there a couple times a year and slaughter the ducks.

Ya know...I have been wanting to get down that way for 2 years now, but haven't made it yet. I have heard that they shoot real good there, but i haven't had the time i need to go down there and scout it. I know the NE part of the state very good so I always end up there. Plus, I always shoot nothing but mallards up there, and I am all about the green.

Those are some nice pics you posted. I have to find somewhere to shoot geese next year!!!
Cupp
hunter

Postby Cupp » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:01 pm

shrpshtr wrote:
cupp,

PM me when you have a second. btw, great pic!

PM sent your way!! :mrgreen:
Cupp
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting