San Luis Valley ?

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

San Luis Valley ?

Postby goosehappy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:02 pm

I may be moving to somewhere in the San Luis Valley in the next year or two and wondered how the waterfowl hunting is there? Mostly a goose hunter but ducks too. Curious about if they get frozen out often or have season long hunting, what kinds of birds and just general idea of places to hunt, like is it mostly on farms or refuges? I have visited the refuge near Alamosa, but don't know anything much about it. I'd really appreciate any opinions about this from anyone who's hunted in the SLV, and I am not looking for any specific info like your secret spots or such.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Re: San Luis Valley ?

Postby dysco » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:48 pm

It's cold. Burly cold.

I saw mallards, green wings, wigeon, and goldeneyes in the valley last week. The hunting for geese and ducks is legit if you can find a field to hunt in or if you do the work and find public open water. It sucked this year compared to last year from opening day until freeze up. Still not as many birds as there should be.

But it's cold. I've had days there where I drove an hour only to turn around for fear of frostbite. Don't get stuck, carry chains and a shovel for your vehicle, blankets, food, etc. Even a mile off the road can be too far on some winter days. It's also a lot of post-holing crusty snow to get where you want to go. You've gotta work for it, and just when you bust your hump and do it all right, those local ducks will zero your ass. :lol3:

dysco
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks dysco. Does the valley get any snow geese. Any spring hunts?
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby dysco » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:24 am

goosehappy wrote:Thanks dysco. Does the valley get any snow geese. Any spring hunts?

I've seen exactly one small flock of snows in the valley. I did see several small flocks here when it got super cold this year, though. No spring hunts west of I-25 I think. However... Being located so close to several flyways gives you a chance to hunt nearly straight through from Labor Day to April if you're willing to drive a couple hours in any direction. That's hard to beat.
dysco
hunter

Postby dito » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Yeah usually the hunting is farily decent here. Early season was fair. But once the river locked up it sucked the big one. Then all the jump shooters hititng the spots that do stay open. But when it's good it's really good!
dito
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting