Colorado Snow Geese

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Colorado Snow Geese

Postby duckhunter08 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:13 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on where to find snow geese in extreme southeastern colorado?
duckhunter08
Newb

Postby FlybyNite » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:49 pm

John Martin Reservoir.
Don
Don't believe everything you think!
FlybyNite
hunter

Postby Chris.Williams » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:13 pm

I second the John Martin

Chris
Ten feet off the ground back pedaling!!! Takem'
Chris.Williams
hunter

Postby duckhunter08 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. So what is the best way to hunt John Martin? I dont have a boat or anything so i am pretty much restricted to the shore. I have a new dog that i would like to get on some geese ASAP. Any more tips would be great.
duckhunter08
Newb

Postby FlybyNite » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:48 pm

It's kinda hard to nail down a spot for snows here. On the south side of the reservoir there's a 'firing line, no people allowed' area running west from the dam to the butte nearest the dam. Beyond that (west) you can even go in the water. But the snows go out high & mostly to the north or east. You need a good 4wd to go on the north side & like I said, they go out HIGH. Maybe some of those DC with T shot shells will do the trick? On the west end the water is shallow but it's real mucky & has lotsa deep soft spots to watch out for. Can be dangerous. I'm not wading out there for sure! They seem to be feeding in fields where hunting isn't allowed unless you can find a guide. I can't help you out with that. Maybe call the Lamar DOW office & they'll have a list? 719.336.6600. Good luck!
Don
Don't believe everything you think!
FlybyNite
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting