Colorado Trout Fishing

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Colorado Trout Fishing

Postby knockemdeadd » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:15 am

Planning a family vacation this summer. Can anyone put me on places to go for lodging/decent fishing ? We are fairly experienced, just dont have any idea where to look....

We strictly catch and release, dont know if there'd be any spots where that would make a difference or not.

Coming from St Louis, MO, so the eastern part is closer.....

Thanks!
Last edited by knockemdeadd on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Your not going to find any decent trout on the eastern part of the state. Got to get up in the hills. Look around Kremling or Hot Sulpher Springs. Gold medal rivers thru there that are catch and release. From Kremling you can drop down and fish the blue river from Green Mountain Res. down to Dillon. You could stay in either Dillon or Frisco (more to do than fish there) and still get in some great fishing. Dillon is about 90 minutes west of Denver. Kremling is about 30-45 minutes north of Dillon. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby HunterX » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Just like dukhnter7 said, not much trouts in the plains but there are some but your best chances are in the mountains. If you really want some good info. head over to coloradofisherman.com and you'll find a boat load of info. but you'll have to sign up to access the forum.
HunterX
hunter

CO Fishing Advice

Postby HereDucky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm assuming you are fly fishing? Check out www.bluequillangler.com
Go to Pat Dorsey's Stream Report on that site for current flows, hatches, etc on most of Colorado's gold medal waters. You can also give their shop a buzz and ask questions -- they are good guys. Expect company on the river in any of these spots. At least after checking that out you will have an idea of some of the prime fisheries, and you can spread your search for lodging, etc from there.

Depending on when you are coming out, you may still be in the runoff season in which case you may need to find a tailwater.

Hope that helps.

Tight lines. :thumbsup:
HereDucky
hunter

Postby gunny ducker » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:10 am

If you are looking for some top notch fly fishing come up to Gunnison CO. There have been more record fish landed up here than anywhere I have ever heard in CO. From here you can fish Taylor river north of town, or go down into the Black Canyon west of town. It takes about an hour to get to the black but the fishing and veiws make it more than worth it. The taylor is a bit closer. A few years ago I landed a 26" rainbow in the Black Canyon and I think 2 years ago somebody brought in the state record trout on the talyor it was 36". :thumbsup:
gunny ducker
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting