Iced over Pond Decoy ideas

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Iced over Pond Decoy ideas

Postby HaydenMU » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:20 pm

hey

so me and my dad got to our favorite honey hole last year to find it was totally covered in ice. we couldnt figure out what to do with decoys so we didnt use any. Any idaes on how to set up over an iced over pond or river. thanx guys :)
HaydenMU
hunter

Postby FlybyNite » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:05 pm

I took a few of my older dekes & cut off the keels. I've also put the boat in & cruised around to break the ice. If you're careful to break big enuff sheets of ice, you can use a 1 X 2 with a nail driven thru the end to stuff the sheets under or over the standing edges.
HTH
Don
Don't believe everything you think!
FlybyNite
hunter

Postby rmh » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm told, and have seen pictures, of a black tarp with decoys and dead geese on it.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby FlybyNite » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:58 pm

rmh, I saw pics of that plastic with dekes & the results in FarmShow Magazine a couple years ago. Ya don't even need waders to pick up your dekes or your birds. I seem to remember the guys were laying under the plastic around the edge with just their heads sticking out. Seemed to work OK. :thumbsup:
Don
Don't believe everything you think!
FlybyNite
hunter

Postby Jrhurt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 pm

If you just show up and it is iced over, I would be pretty careful about walking out and putting out decoys. I wouldn't trust it unless I knew it had been iced over for a decent amount of time.

I have heard guys swear by the tarp idea, never done it myself but supposedly it works.
Jrhurt
hunter

Postby grenhdkilr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 pm

hunting geese on the ice is great just put out some sleeper shells and some fullbodys and if there is geese traficing over you will get some :thumbsup:
IS IT SEPT 1st YET
grenhdkilr
hunter

Postby J Turner » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:33 pm

We would get to our spot and find and inch of ice or so over all the water. We would bust out as big of sheets as we could and create some open water for the birds.

If there are two of you, one guy slips the forward edge of the sheet under the other ice and the other guy pushes it under.

We had some great shooting having the only open water around. Just be careful not only of the ice, but also the water depth.
J Turner
hunter

Postby duck469 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:26 pm

i think that if you can break the ice where its not so tichk then...set some decoys that is a good deal, as well as add some sleeper decoys and standing decoys around the edged of the broken ice so that it looks realistic...it brings in more birds...=]
duck469
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting