New To Waterfowl, CO

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

New To Waterfowl, CO

Postby colliecowgal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 am

Hi,
I recently moved to the Ft. Collins, Colorado area and seeing all these geese and ducks that hang around the city parks has me interested in waterfowling. I've been a big game hunter all my life, but I was never introduced to ducks and geese. I'm looking for some good places to go and give it a shot. I have access to a dog if that makes a difference. Please let me know if you have any spot suggestions or even just basic waterfowling tips.
colliecowgal
hunter

Postby gunny ducker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:51 pm

If you go east towards Ft. Morgan and Brush area theres lots of nice hunting spots. I have some friends in the area that say they hunt up near the mtns, but Im not sure exactly where.
gunny ducker
hunter

Postby turbotyphoon69 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:06 pm

No need to go east if you are already in Ft. Collins, lotsa birds there and a few decent state wild life areas too, google colorado division of wildlife and look up the SWAs near you.
Quack Killer from the middle east
"You HUNT? you dont look like the type that hunts!"
turbotyphoon69
hunter

Postby MicCog » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm in Greeley, just down the road, check into frank lakes SWA in Windsor. there are some guide services around as well if you wanted to go that route. Most every everything around us is private or leased. we are lucky enough to have a work connection to some private land. there's also river (not really great until mid December/January when everything is starting to freeze up, but there's one in Evans CO (don't remember the name) but we've hunted there and done pretty good for public land. there's another one east of Greeley, but don't remember the name just know how to get there. Know it's an asian name SWA so if your checking into them then you might come across it. Hope that helps your search. I know how hard it can be when you don't know the area or 80 farmers in the area :wink:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Miyagi-gooseman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:15 am

Mitani is the SWA and it can be a zoo. Although, about 5 years ago, we did great on the geese hunting over what was onions at the time....the hunting party pressure is ridiculous. This is a small area....there were 3 parties hunting the small field, two hunting ther river part (poudre as it goes into the platte) and, beleive it or not....3-4 guys pass shooting from the parking lot.....If you want to experience a good hunt to get you more into CO waterfowl, I do not recommend going there first, especially on the weekends. With that being said, the DOW has a great book that covers all of the SWA's in the state. IT costs about $25 but is a true asset...not only for waterfowl but for all kinds of hunting on SWA's. Personally, I hunt out east between Fort Morgan and Julesburg. The latter can be a hell of a haul but the hunting pressure can be very light. One area that can be especially good is Tamarack Ranch SWA. It is very large and sectioned off into "reservation areas" You should head up there with someone that is familiar with the place however, because you can literally walk aroud in circles trying to find the river or slough if your not familiar with the area. Most of the Platte from Greeley to NE is public, either SWA, State land....DU access land. CO is one of those states that the colder, nastier it gets, the hotter the waterfowling, especially along the Platte valley. Miyagi
Miyagi-gooseman
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting