Barr Lake

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Barr Lake

Postby wilhite38 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Has anyone been out there recently? How is it? Do you need a reservation there? Thanks for any information.
wilhite38
Newb

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:09 pm

yes, you need a reservation and if your are wondering,no you can not hunt on the lake with decoys. its open weds, sat,sun. there are blinds located on the bottom of the dam on the north side of the lake where you "pass shoot" The worst thing that ever happen to colorado waterfowling was barr lake hunting. Its a skybusters paradise.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:17 pm

Don't waste your time. It is organized sky busting.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby wilhite38 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:21 pm

Fair enough is there anywhere somewhat close to Denver? I am trying to find out if there anywhere I could go in the morning before work and then get to work by 9 or so.
wilhite38
Newb

Postby Just Ed » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Barr isn't open on Sunday - just Saturday and Wednesday. You do need reservations and you have to call at 9am to get them (the brochure on the State Parks Web Site is incorrect - it says 8am). Calling in is like trying to win a radio contest and all the pit reservations are usually gone within the first five minutes. Having said that, it isn't impossible to get a reservation (I have one on the 31st).

One thing you might try is just showing up in the evening if you can get off work early. A lot of the folks that have a blind reserved will leave by noon and if they have checked out, there may be an available blind on a first come, first served basis.

It is pass shooting - Aside from the negative comments you hear about the place, people actually do shoot geese and ducks there. In fact the family that maintains the blinds out there (on a volunteer basis) are usually there hunting on Saturdays and Wednesdays and they usually go home with at least a goose or two. Not bad for sitting on your butt all day and waiting for birds to fly by.

The geese and ducks have been flying the past three weeks. The lake is probably frozen with the weather we've had in the last week so the ducks should slow down a bit but the geese should still be flying.

Good luck!
Just Ed
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:03 am

Just Ed wrote:It is pass shooting - Aside from the negative comments you hear about the place, people actually do shoot geese and ducks there. Not bad for sitting on your butt all day and waiting for birds to fly by.

I know they kill geese and duck but what distance do you think that usually happens at. 40 plus, i think so, 50 plus i believe so, 60 plus it happens all the time.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby Just Ed » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:53 pm

duckbuddy wrote:I know they kill geese and duck but what distance do you think that usually happens at. 40 plus, i think so, 50 plus i believe so, 60 plus it happens all the time.

Ummm OK :huh:
Just Ed
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting