Something odd?

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Something odd?

Postby MicCog » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:57 pm

:huh: So this weekend, we were scouting our favorite little place and I know this happened because neither of us had a gun out, but we saw TWO CINNAMON TEAL!!!! Keep in mind it was about
minus twelve degrees out. We both thought it was very odd indead, since we have never even seen them in the Greeley area.
the other thing I wondered is if anyone else is shooting a lot of ringnecks this year? prior to this year we've never seen any in this area, but they are thick this year!!! which is fine with me they are fun and pretty little ducks to hunt. just thought it was weird.
anyone else ran into anything odd this year?
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Ringies

Postby colosilverado » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:19 am

Hi, new to the forum...
Yes, we have taken a few Ringnecks over here in Loveland also. I saw some earlier in the year our east. We weren't sure if we were seeing things. I also got a Bufflehead, which I haven't seen much of around here. It has been a weird year for sure! My buddy shot what we were told was a juvenile wood duck, which was a pretty little duck. We also had some Ruddy ducks blow through our area and almost knock us over a few times while we were ducked down for bigger ducks. Same with those teal...they are crazy. We almost got taken out by a lesser Canadian that we wing shot. He was pumping with his good wing which spun him 180 degrees and he came right at us with his head up like he was saying "I'll take these 2 tubby guys out if I'm going down"!

We've seen plenty of Green Wing teal, but I don't know that we saw any Cinny's. That would be cool, and I agree on the gun thing. If you had them in hand, you wouldn't have seen them. We have had a ton of that this year. No action, start goofing off and you see a few ducks or geese go by at Mach 5.
colosilverado
hunter

Postby MicCog » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Sweet where do you hunt in Loveland? There's been more pressure where we go this year than years prior, which sucks. it was always like a BIG secret, then go shoot a killer mixed bag. but I guess that happens. I know what you mean about almost getting taken out by something, I'm doing the filming for a video that's currently in production, and a big fatty mallard darn near fell on my head!!! landed about 1-2 feet away, and pretty hard to catch falling right at you on the camera!!!
I LOVE the sound of Ringnecks when they come in, you think there's a plane about to go over and then you see a big flock of ringers drop in over your head!
My murphy's law is everytime I stop the camera to adjust my seating, or stand up or what have you, something comes right in just as pretty as can be, then I'm fumbling with the camera to get it on video!!! (but I'm just learning this filming thing, so I'm no pro by anymeans) guess I should care less for my personal comfort and more about the ON position of the camera. LOL!

How has the hunting been the last two weeks? It's slowed down here, we just can't figure out if it's from the pressure that the place has got all year or because of the crazy temp. changes, and not staying in the blind long enough. which is hard because we each have little ones and don't want to abuse the "sitter" privaliges.
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby colosilverado » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:58 pm

We've typically been hunting Thompson Ponds and snoop around other places. We run over to Greeley once in awhile and further east sometimes. We've really worked at getting the ducks we've gotten since this last split started. I don't think we've seen a mallard for at least a few weeks. I think most've them left when the temps got so cold. They were popping in and out of the fog one morning when it was down around zero, and I don't recall seeing more than maybe 2-3 since. We've definitely slowed down and it wasn't too great to begin with once this last split started.

The geese have almost all been wearing oxygen masks because they're so high. We've had our best luck when we aren't trying. They're staying up North of Fort Collins where all the land is leased by CSU and outfitters, and everywhere else you can't hunt. We don't think there's been many non-resident geese around.

We're not optimistic on the ducks picking back up before the season ends. We're gonna put in some more work and just see what happens. We're not sure on the geese. It might pick up and we're going to chase some snows at some point.

The filming part is really cool. I hope it turns out really nice for ya! If we did anything exciting, I'd tell ya you could film us, but it would end up on America's Funniest Home Videos or a "How not to hunt" long before you got anything useful. If you are going to ever head over this way, you can always post here and I'll tell ya how to find us so we can say hello. You can never know too many hunters, for the most part. I'll warn ya that Simpson Ponds is highly pressured and your odds of getting rained on or shot are higher. Thompson Ponds is a haven for pervs/homos and drugs, we think. There are a lot of cars that have guys in suits driving around and playing the light flashing game when we leave. Well, there was earlier in the year. It isn't as bad now, but the Larimer County Sheriff's Office has been sending a car through quite a bit more often. I've found crumbled up nudie magazine (both sexes) pics with obscene things written on them down there a few times.

Ya know, I've got no problem with people doing what they want to do in the privacy of their own home or hotel as far as the sex thing goes and I'm a guy, so the obscene stuff isn't offensive to me, per se'. It is just that some guys take their kids down there to fish or hunt and that IS a problem to me. I've got younger kids and I don't want them seeing that stuff. If they're dealing drugs down there, I don't like that either. We're keeping an eye on it and have the number for the S.O. for that type of stuff and it seems to have slowed a little. They used to do that stuff at a rest stop up by Fort Collins, but they bulldozed that to get rid of that stuff. So, they're moved down our way.

I guess that would really put an interesting twist on the video you're shooting. I will have to start taking a video camera down there, but I guess that might be invasion of privacy. :no:
colosilverado
hunter

Postby MicCog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:51 pm

true! we haven't seen many mallards that weren't flying at 10k feet!!! LOL. seems like we saw most of the migration fly right over us one morning! we've only shot divers for the most part and a few teal. My husband shot a really nice bluebill this morning, worthy of the wall, I think he likes the fact that I'm now doing taxidermy!!! nothing like cheap free labor!!! LOL!!! I'm kidding, it's nice to have a supply of practice ducks although our house will be full soon!!! My kiddo wants a mallard for her room (she's 4) but we have yet to shoot a nice one for her. there's always tomorrow morning!!!
too bad about the freaks. I hate that they can ruin places you remember being fun and safe when you were a kid!!!
we went and scouted the pond tonight, but we're thinking that everything that's there (a lot!) will be there all night, and when we go down and jump them they won't come back come back once the decoys are set. what can you do though? cross our fingers!

well, suppose I should go check on supper!!!
good luck tomorrow, let me know how ya all did!!!
I'll post our morning results!!!
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Ring Necks

Postby Husker20 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:40 pm

I saw you were talking about ring necks we have shot a lot off the arkansas river near brush hallow it was weird i didnt think they were on rivers it was a surprise, we also have ran into alot of golden eye along the arkansas river this year also it has been a great year getting diffrent ducks this year. I agree they do make a cool sound coming into your decoys, they are pretty good eating to. Got my first one this year to.

Husker20
hunter

Postby colosilverado » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 am

We've been lying low over the last few days. I haven't spent as much time with the family lately, so that was a priority even though we didn't do much.

We'll chase them again here this week. Yeah, it is weird that the divers are on these rivers like they are instead of mallards.

I just changed shotguns and am having a problem adjusting. The good news is I saw about a dozen mallards on the Big Thompson River way up by Masonville, which is heading toward the canyon.

Good luck you guys! We've been stuffing ours into the freezer relatively quickly because we're getting ours mounted also.

I can't remember if I posed about my buddy's peg-leg mallard hen..but he shot a mallard hen that had a stump for 1 leg. It wasn't a fresh injury or anything either.
colosilverado
hunter

Postby MicCog » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:43 pm

that's neat that others have seen ringnecks also. although I'm not sure I'd eat them??? but then I'm not real big on Duck. they're always on the river where we hunt, sometimes they'll buzz the pond but only if there's pressure somewhere else on the river.

we didn't have a steller weekend, just a few ringers, a NICE blue bill and a few Goldeneyes. Oh, and my daughter wanted more than anything for me to mount a mallard for her room (kids! lol) and the boys shot a nice one Sunday, a real keeper. he must be from way up north, HUGE! and almost a triple curl! She was so excited when they brought it home. I think she carried him around for 20 min!!!

Although she was VERY upset (as 4 year olds get) that we didn't take her out hunting Sunday afternoon. we really created a monster when we took her out early season. But she did good for a kiddo so young, and had to sit in the blind with the big boys, didn't want to hang with mom filming!! She wants to know when she can get a "shoot gun" and start hunting!!!! I just hope that carries through the "tweener" years!

good to hang with the fam!
Good luck this week!!!
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Postby Husker20 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:42 pm

Ring Necks is one of the most awsome tasting bird in my opinion i woul put them right behind mallards.
Husker20
hunter

Postby MicCog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:30 pm

seriously? I guess I'm just not huge on duck meat, as I've only had it prepared the way I liked it (kinda) once.

and that was teal, and even then I don't think I could make a "meal" out of it, more like an appetizer of sorts........

I think I'll just stick with stuffin' em..... :rofl:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting