Ducks gone?

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Ducks gone?

Postby Zirkels » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Hunted Saturday morning on the Platte out near Brush. The result of the hunt was zero birds for us and the lowest number of ducks I have ever seen in one moring out there. Only saw one goldeneye. We were there from 6am to 11 and didn't see any high flying groups, nothing not a single mallard.
There was a full moon and other not so ideal weather factors, but normally that first 30min of shoot time you see something. We did flush 30 or so geese where we set up.
Just wondering if any other duck hunters are experiencing the same issues in that area?
Zirkels
hunter

Postby colosilverado » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:37 pm

It does seem to me that the ducks are relatively scarce right now. I'll admit that we've been chasing geese more than ducks, but I'm still after ducks some. We just haven't seen any flying at all. It was, until recently, pretty common for us to see a few flocks or pairs flying anytime we went hunting. Even if they weren't in range, they were flying at least.
I know they're around on some of the open ponds, which are few, and scattered along the rivers, but we've been pretty frustrated lately. Maybe we'll get a push from the north here before season's end. I hope so. The locals here are too smart. Same with the geese.
colosilverado
hunter

Postby MicCog » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:38 pm

we've experienced the same thing. maybe the most recent snow yesterday will help out this weekend.

we have seen several flocks of ducks WAY high headed due east the last two weekends. but we don't have the numbers we did last year. I think we've only limited out 3 times all second split. :no:
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting