Deer Hunting In A Tree Stand

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Deer Hunting In A Tree Stand

Postby jem » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:24 pm

I have been out sitting in a tree stand since opening day. During the week 5 to 7:30. Saturdays 5 to 9:30 and then back 1 to 4:30.

Is it just me or is this a game to the deer too? A couple of mornings during the pitch black I see what looks like 2 small white lights pass in a valley in front of me and last Saturday could swear something ran up the hill to my right but I couldn't quite make it out. Almost like a ghost passing by on the hill.

So I am thinking the deer move in the dark before dawn.

Do any of you experienced deer hunters out there think this sounds right? Do a deer's eyes glow white in the moonlight?

It is a fun game to be out there but it sure takes a while sometimes.
John Majkowski
jem
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:10 am

Hey JEM.......I thought Gerry set you up with a 'sure thing'!!!????

Deer are by nature (more these days than in the long past) nocturnal. They will usually be out feeding in the low light/night hours and move into bedding/loafing areas in the daylight. That's why we are out there in the transition areas at dawn and dusk - trying to intercept.

The eyes of a deer will reflect light....usually green/white and when in the beam.

Even if you have the corridor/trail/funnel 'covered'....deer do not go that way every day at the same time....so your stand may be in a spot where they are night moving......just hope for a very cloudy/dark day, so they move during legal hours!!! And keep at it.....you can sit on the same stand days on end all day long and the buck may come through there the very next day - after you move on! On the other hand, you can relocate further into the woods closer to the bedding are if you are seeing them pre-dawn....or move closer to the feeding are if after hours.

Real deer hunting as we have it here in the Northeast is not like the crap we see on tv!!!!

I have been lucky in the past....and I know the deer habits....I hunt behind my house and am lucky in that the deer are not pushed....so they stay pretty much in the same zones/schedules. If this damn cast comes off tomorrow, I'll be out Thanksgiving pm and hoping to be there on the right day.

Good luck.....put in your time and eventually it will pay off.....but even though there are many of us that get one during the first hour of the season more hunters do not......persistency is a key....as well as patience!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Thanks For The Encouragement

Postby jem » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:23 pm

Duck Hunter,

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom.

From what you are saying it sounds like a rainy day like tomorrow is good to hunt then?

I took the day off today and will be back out there soon.

Good luck with your foot.
John Majkowski
jem
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:51 am

Of course "ya never know when luck will shine on you", but, yes, I prefer to hunt on overcast days.....same for ducks since they move earlier/later....their watches are set on light/dark, while ours are on time.

I have never shot a deer from a tree stand....they are like a duckblind....a hunter tends to get committed to one spot and that is definitely not me.

On a rainy wet day I like to sit for the first part of the morning and then might move and still hunt or still hunt to a different location in the bedding area.....I only move from tree to tree (about 30 feet at once) and I look alot more than move....but I have only shot a couple deer on the move.....my most successful method is scouting a good stand and puttin' in the time. Deer in my experience tend not to move too much in alot of wind or foul weather.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori16 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:18 am

Good to see you are still giving advice Dukhtr. How's your season going? I'm enjoying the scenery more than anything but I am having some success with ducks.

Jem, I am seeing the same thing as far as deer sneaking around at nite. Had one cruise by at 5 am as I was going to my stand. Or they sneak around out of range :pissed: I'm still looking for my first, but I'm getting tired of the right place wrong time, or almost right place, right time.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:01 am

Please...."advice" is not me....I prefer to think I am 'sharing' my experiences and making suggestions!!! :cool:

Anyhow....the season has been a bust for me....I remain in a cast on my right leg until the 8th....I was hoping to have it off for good yesterday, but the bones are not healed completely.....The Dr. feels that if CIGNA had approved the darn electro bone stimulator I wear 10 hours a-day from day one, instead of after an appeal three weeks into the first cast, I would have been done.

Anyhow, Dogman dragged me out to a 'dry' spot last Sat....sank the crutches up to the handles in mud!!!! But I did manage to get a shot off at a passing mallard (now in the freezer for mounting - perfect feathering and color). We saw alot of birds flying before legal time.....but patience paid off and he took a nice big Canada.

If only the cast were on the left leg I could at least drive. Have had alot of offers to partner up, but Carol is not about to take me anywhere at 3:30 and then pick me up at noon. Sometimes being out in the 'sticks' can have a few disadvantages.

I was hoping to be out in the deer woods in the morning....it's snowing right now....and more on the way....but of course that won't happen. I know exactly where to be for a nice young six-point......but he'll be out there next year with a broader chest and a higher rack.

The end of the second half and into the first of the year is coming.....am chompin' at the bit to get out on the water!!!!! I am thinking about making a drive down to home (CT) to hunt ont he 10th.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Lots Of Good Signs

Postby jem » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:46 pm

I saw and heard some good stuff today.

First at the farm saw a big bunch of ducks hanging out with the goose decoys and there were a couple dozen of them. :eek: In the binoculars they were very dark. In fact they looked almost all black. I am no expert but I guess that means they were black ducks?

Secondly, the farmer's grandson said he shot a large buck right near my stand about noon. He hit it in the brisquet and it went down. He relaxed and the buck got up and ran away before he could nail it down. So they were still tracking it when I left at sunset.

If I get one the 220 grains will hopefully put it down period.

I am going out tomorrow and will be there morning and then again in the afternoon. Friday and Saturday I am thinking of just staying out all day if people are hitting them at noon.

I did get out of the stand today and perched myself on a rock overlooking a small pond. Nothing to be found with those guys tracking that buck but still it felt really good as opposed to being strapped into that tree stand like an infant in a high chair...........

Sounds like having CIGNA as your provider is as bad as working for CIGNA. Word gets around.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
John Majkowski
jem
hunter

Bittersweet day

Postby Citori16 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:08 pm

My morning was tough as all the rain had put my reliable spot out of comission (the beaver dam appearewd as a boil under the water). Set up on a flooded area near my reliable and watched in agony as ducks were called in by me to my reliable spot as they passed up my spread nearby.

Decided to find a different spot for the even ing. My son is 9 and I decided to get him out with me today for some male bonding, ducks, and "The Talk". It went well and we talked about life being made in between duck calls. We heard the deer I had been trying to intercept for a week, and saw parts of him climb up the ridge at 4:00. We saw some ducks swing by and tried to call them but they kept going and appeared to light in my old reliable, but flooded, spot. After shooting time, we tried to find those ducks to see where they went and saw the deer, 2 does and my buck, hanging out near my treestand.

It figures...
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting