First Post - How is your season going ??

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

First Post - How is your season going ??

Postby MrCamoClad » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:20 pm

Hi fellow CT waterfowl hunters......how is your season going so far ??

My buddy and I are having a good season so far. I invested in a new set of GHG Blacks and some real grass for the blind and we have had non stop decoying Mallards and Woodies.

All the woodie are gone from the area we hunt now and all we are seeing are Mallards - Blacks and Mergs. - What are you seeing ??
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Citori16 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:38 pm

Definitely not non-stop...occasional mallards, woodies have not decoyed but have been around. I'm using about 2 doz decoys sometimes with a few Honkers thrown in. Was hoping for colder weather. What part of the state are you in? I'm in SE.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:25 pm

Been hunting the CT river all year. Been scouting for the past 3 years and and having ok luck - seems this year all of our hard work is paying off.

Two of the main things that are working to our advantage this year is the Real grass on the boat blind....we rearly get busted and have been using 4 Canadian Floaters for confindence.

Now with the cold weather - seeing lots of larger flocks... not able to get out this weekend - PA deer hunt - but going out next weekend.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:02 pm

hey Camo....so you found a new forum......glad to have you with us here.......please tell me the CT is running high.....will be down in a couple weeks for a hunt or two.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby on duck call » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:14 pm

Connecticut is on fire with ducks this year. I've shot 29 ducks and 14 geese and I'm not counting lost birds. Pintail, wigeon, gadwal, blacks, teal, all made the bag so far. Saw a canvasback last time out. On my boat 54 ducks have been harvested. Fast grass works but need to add some locally grow stuff to tie it in. Connecticut is on the rebound with numbers and species. Going out for sea ducks next week.
on duck call
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:29 pm

Cant say I have the same numbers as 'on duck call' - but having a good year by my standards - Sorry I didnt post earlier...yes the CT river has been high - but with this cold weather this week - its starting to freeze up.

When went over the bridge in Hartford today - it was frozen over all the way up to there.

Not sure how it is by the shore as I dont ussually go down that far. To much 'big water' for my 16' Jon.

I going to hunt a local river with fast moving water this weekend....Im sure my spots on the CT river will be locked up with ICE.

Damn cold weather this early in the year wrecking my season....oh - I I just bought a New Browning Gold 3 1/2 in Mossy Oak Showdow Grass tonight.....Its actually a Chrsitmas Present from my wife - she bought it but I had to pick it up. - Nicest wife Ever !!!
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Another season on the CT flyway

Postby QuackSmacker » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:10 pm

Quack, quack all, I think waterfowl numbers on the Atlantic flyway are gradually increasing, however i cant say this year numbers are as comparable to last year's numbers, and we have a new pup this season (7month Chessie born May,22 from a breeder in Milford) who if a duck is positively charged then her nose is negatively charged and works like a freegan magnet!! I bagged a limit with my bro (home from college) last friday and she retrieved 10 ducks including her first triple and the day before her first Goose!! it's a match made in heaven!!!
Anyway, the rain on x-mas thawed the majority of ice including my favorite spot near the mouth of the CT river which made Monday a great shoot (esp. afternoon) However, the influx of dux quickly slowed leaving yesterday and today virtually duckless except for a pair of mally's which thankfully renewed my patience for this sport. BECAUSE...i brought home a brand new Franchi 912 last night from my favorite local dealer, The Grouse Perch, and am completly satisfied with its initial performance this morning...ALL IN A DAY BEFORE WORK...God i love my life...We'll see what tomorow brings, GoodBye ICE, Hello Landing Zone!!!
Bring it on Ducks! And stop slacking honkers only have 9 on season.
-Just another day on the CT river!
Bring em' in close!
QuackSmacker
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting