End of Season Push?

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

End of Season Push?

Postby QuackSmacker » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:01 pm

Quack all, so waterfowl's forcefield of ice is temporarily disabled and us hunters workin the CT river North Zone are able to get to our best spots. This week after Christmas has brought a lot of dreary weather that has still been quite cold, but we can always count on that sun pushing through at the hump of the day which feels damn good! This has caused variability in the action we've seen:
Monday: best of the week, rainy and most birds flying esp. afternoon
Tuesday: Clearer and slow no birds bagged
Wed: First hunt with Franchi912, bagged pair of mally's AM PM even slower
Thurs: Action picked up looked promising, AM as good as Mon afternoon
Friday: 2 pairs of hens decoyed 1 AM 1 PM goes to show how weird it was
Tomorow: Follow the trend?? and have another chartbusting hunt!!!!??!
Bring it on Mother Nature! Wheres those PM showers!
-5 of our blinds got knocked off their stands earlier in winter when we got iced out-then flooded. So all our illy north shore protection is absent.
Competition for blinds is up. Some know that tomorow will go down in the history books and some of you are here to read it now. Our now 7 month old Chessie, Allie, is well rested after gashing a hind pad on Monday. We feel she is too important to not have tomorow so good luck to all, lets hope for a last free-for-all-Saturday PUSH Potapaug G.C. represent

Cupped & Committed
Bring em' in close!
QuackSmacker
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:31 pm

Wow - you get out alot more then most of us can.

Good luck tomorrow - Im heading to a close local spot with the new Browning.

Report back tomorrow.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby QuackSmacker » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:39 pm

Here's a helpful clarification: We go by what the members in our family are doing...we all use the same facilities and get out a lot, but at different times. Our season duck total is the family's total. So while i worked monday my bro (home for x-mas break) and Aunt (lives in VT) went out, my Dad joined them for the afternoon. Tuesday same scenario. Wednesday i went out for the first our before work. They again hunted the afternoon. Thrusday it was just my Bro & a buddy because my aunt went back to VT. I got to go Friday mornign and afternoon going to work 9-2. Satruday of course i went out with my two best buddies Alex and Reid. So you can see we have multiple people all trying to go out a lot and using the same facitlities. We have constant reports, and are enfatuated with figuring this sport out!!
-Lots of days on the CT river!!
Bring em' in close!
QuackSmacker
hunter

Saturday's shoot

Postby QuackSmacker » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:31 pm

Saturday looked as though it was one of those picturesque duck shooting days... I have this brand new Franchi912 variomax that i have barely shot totally making me trigger happy but also reluctant to take deep shots because i want to keep my kill percentage up with the new gun :) We got no birds in the AM, didn't even fire! Since it looked like one of those days where they can get up at any moment, i stayed out. About 12:15 this is who came to join me and my lonely spread:[img][img]http://x11.putfile.com/1/317015995.jpg[/img][/img]
A big ole' honker who i clucked back and forth with minimally before he came over me with the wind, spun around and came back cupped and committed toward my 5 goos decoys whom i never let him get to meet.
The boys came back after lunch bringing me some yum-yums and we ended up with 2 mallards in the bag... Last week of the season :(
Good luck all!!
Bring em' in close!
QuackSmacker
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:06 pm

Great job - Quack !!!!

Yep - last week for the North Zone - were going out on the CT Saturday morning.

Dont forget - we get two more weeks in the South Zone - gonna give that a wack the following weekend.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting