My new stoeger has a blown barrel!

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

My new stoeger has a blown barrel!

Postby on duck call » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:22 pm

I went hunting this morning and noticed a bulge in my barrel. It looks like a golf ball was in my barrel about 6 inches from choke. Yesterday I hunted and shot at a crippled goose and it was a thud and pellets barely came out the barrel. I took a few more shots that day and didn't notice anything. I shoot fast steal and some heavy shot . I not sure why the barrel blew on me? Any ideas?

I haven't contacted stoeger yet but the gun is only 7 months old and I hope they'll work with me. Just wish it did'nt happen during the last two weeks of the season. This mornings hunt was slow for us 1 nice drake wigeon. I actually still had a great time though I was gunless.
on duck call
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:48 am

ODC - from your story - it sounds like you kept on shooting with the buldge in your barrel....if this is true - you are very lucky you or someone in your hunting didnt get hurt.

I've never seen this happen personally - but heard a few stories. I guess the first few things to ask...

What choke were you using?
Was it tight ??
Did you check your barrel to ensure there was no obstruction before firing it for the day ? - Like a wad or mud or where do you store your gun between hunts.

Sorry to hear what happend - hope Stoger works something out with you.

FWIW - another guy I have hunted with - just bought one as well and it jams all the time and is a pretty expensive single shot. The Factory told him it was due to heavy packing grease on springs - so they cleaned and and sent it back to him. Even after geting it back from the factory - its still jammed - so he traded it in and bought a differnt gun.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:50 am

could the steel shotshell have gotten wet and 'solidified'???

Not sure what kent has for wads or cups or if the crimps are 'waterproof'....maybe the shot clumped and the pressure at the end of the barrel was too much?
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting