Anyone in here make their own Decoys?

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Re: Anyone in here make their own Decoys?

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Always thought about making my own. Seeing as there's no real ducks around might as well make a few fake ones...........
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:42 pm

This cold snap should help a little. Nothing was up this past Saturday where we were.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah tomarrow looks like it might be productive so Im goin before work.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby brampus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:56 pm

I made this mallard for my father last fathers day. First decoy that I've made in a few years. Hollow bass wood body painted in oil.
Brampus
brampus
hunter

Postby CTHonkerHeaven » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Looks amazing! Id love one of those every year for a present, its beautiful,would you ever sell them? I love to start buying one or two of each species!
CTHonkerHeaven
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I sold ALL of my plastic dekes and carved foamers ,,get a battery charger ,set it on 6 volt a piece of piano wire and a paint roller ,bend the paint rooler into a large half circle attach the wire to each end of the loop INSULATE first the use the leads off the charger to clip onto either end of the wire,plug it in ,,instant foam cutter ,use plenty of ventilation,,check out working decoys forum
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:43 pm

HarrisDecoys wrote:Hi there, We make our own decoys or at least make decoys. :) We are in Old Saybrook and our family has been making decoys here since the 30's.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harris-D ... 4279816046

Bob Harris
118 Ingham Hill Rd.
Old Saybrook, CT. 06475
860-227-6784

i am ur propane delivery driver! i was playing with all "ur pet" ducks last winter!
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Cold snap did nothing. Not a shot fired yesterday. Waiting for it to get REALLY cold and stormy.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 am

Anybody interested in meeting sometime to make some cork dust and whittle?

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby Versatilehunt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Jim,

Nicejob on the deeks. I'd like to try it out. I take it you get the correct width and then glue the sheets untill you get the height you're looking for? I always thought you start with a big block. Sounds good if we all interested can get together - I'm in.

Hunting never stops, the game is always on.
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby Versatilehunt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Jim,

Nicejob on the deeks. I'd like to try it out. I take it you get the correct width and then glue the sheets untill you get the height you're looking for? I always thought you start with a big block. Sounds good if we all interested can get together - I'm in.

Hunting never stops, the game is always on.
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:41 am

Folks, this is THE most interesting post outside of good reports that I have seen!

I am tempted to join up with you guys, but that would mean yet another hobby that I don't have time for. I really enjoy seeing what you guys are doing. Great looking deeks! Great info! :beer:
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby Rubber Hook » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:35 am

Beamer,
My decoys are like a pasta strainer is a understatement HA! Your foam decoys look good, can't wait to see them in the water next season. Just got another 18 buffleheads.
Rubber Hook
hunter

Postby HarrisDecoys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 am

OK Guys- I am trying to revive this thread as it has not been posted to since March of last year. Just to give everyone a "Heads Up" on Harris Decoys here in Old Saybrook. As most all of you know, Bob Harris Sr. passed away in December of 2012. He was the backbone that carried the tradition of Harris Decoys and making decoys here in Old Saybrook. He was a wealth of knowledge and a fantastic carver and painter. He had a natural eye for the decoy. Like Sherwood Lincoln mentioned on a post to me... It is in the Harris DNA. We grew up literally LIVING ducks and decoys. It is what we do. As a child I woke up with a decoy within eyesight in every room I went in. That still stands true 47 years later. My Grand Mother, Marion Harris of Wildfowler fame, would sit and teach me how to paint decoys and her trade secrets and shortcuts starting at the age of ten. We painted in the afternoons in the summer because the basement was the coolest place in the house and that is where the paint room was..... And still is. Papa would go out to the workshop early in the morning with his coffee and we would not see him again until lunch time. My Grand Mother would ring the bell next to the back door to let him know to come in for lunch....No cell phones back then!
Our Workshop is still here and we have one of the original carving machines that has been making decoys since the 1930's. I have spent the last couple of months getting the paint room and the workshop in working order again and I am going to be making a limited amount of Harris Decoys again. These are Old School decoys like the ones that Wildfowler and Harris Decoys made here in Saybrook for decades. Every penny from the decoys that are sold is going right back in to the business. The tradition needs to continue and passed on to the next generation.
Currently I have over 70 decoys for sale on ETSY.COM that are a mix of old decoys. The money from these decoys will also be invested in Harris Decoys. If anyone is interested to purchase any decoys please send me an email at bob@harrisoutdoors.com.
Within the next two weeks I should have the carving machine up and running but I can only use 4 positions at a time. I need some mechanical/electrical help to get 2 more positions running and the machine is OLD so I do not want to over work it. Someday I would like to purchase another carving machine so I can use the current one more as a "Museum Piece". One of Dads dreams was to someday have a decoy museum here in Saybrook.....If I win the lottery maybe I can make that happen.
Bob Harris Jr.
HarrisDecoys
Newb

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:56 am

PM Sent Bob.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Previous

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting