Warm weather spreading the birds?

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Warm weather spreading the birds?

Postby on duck call » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:47 pm

Got out all day Friday. We 3 of us only shot 3 Brant and 2 drake mallards and a Blackie. Missed a couple of oldsquaws and wigeon. Not many sea ducks at all out there. We saw few birds moving. Too warm!
on duck call
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:05 am

On Duck....was down there by 10 friday....went up to Hartford Gun Club to borrow some layout blinds and then hit a field along rt 159......there were about 500 in the field, so we scuffed them out and did a quick set-up witht he BF......within a quarter hour they were trickling back in and we limited in about 90 minutes switching off and only taking one at a time. Had alot of blacks and mallards teasing us!

On Saturday we went to a field not far west of the City.....had not been hit except for a couple times all season.....although the winds were strong, the rain kept them low and we limited easily....again only with a couple dozen BF....even more ducks working the set in this field!

I guess you will need some cold weather to force birds to the shore.....I'll be keeping an eye on your weather and hope for some tough conditions inland so we can trek down in the next few weeks.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Love that laydown blind hunting!

Postby on duck call » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:14 pm

Sounds like you did good with the geese. The geese are all back up north. I hunt a coastal spot that holds a lot of geese. Last time I only saw a few. Thurs-Sat I will be hunting in a layout blind in the big marshes for ducks And geese. The grass is pretty flat and we'll set up deep on a pond or channel we should do good. Got some smarts wigeon that need a spanking. I will keep you informed for the late season Geese like last year.

JIm
on duck call
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting