late season Goose, South Zone CT

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

What gun manufacturer do you prefer?

Remington
No votes
Browning
40%
Winchester
No votes
Ithaca
No votes
Benelli
40%
Franchi
20%
Beretta
No votes
Mossberg
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 5

late season Goose, South Zone CT

Postby QuackSmacker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:08 pm

My best buddy and i manned up finally, I got a Franchi 912 he got the Super Black eagle II non-comfort tech. (he ain't no old man)
WE NEED TO DO SOME SHOOTING as well as appreciate some South Zone hunting which we havent really ever been able to do other than bringing our center console down the mouth of the river over the summers/early Fall. Where is some good state land where we can get some shells out to land/water and pull a few geese in??!!??. Does anyone out there want to try and get some geese with us? bag limits 5, we have 4 diffierent duck boats including an air boat (prolly the only one in CT, ha!) so transportation is not a problem! Open till' Feb 15th im liking this warm weather! but hating that duckin' is closed down for 10 more months..argh... :thumbsdown:
Yey italiano shotguns
Bring em' in close!
QuackSmacker
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:27 am

First issue is to get some real cold inland....that'll drive the geese to the Sound. If that comes together for a period of a few days, then the shooting can be super. Of course adverse weather usually accompanies the cold, so launching and safety come into play.

As for fields, they are few and far between.....and the majority of those are in the Stonington area......althopugh, I am sure there are some private lands in Fairfield County that will support the 500 foot limit.....finding them may be difficult.

If you have a field, we will come down!!! In the past I have cfocused on water hunts and if weather is right later this month, the boat will be hitched and we're on the road. I do have a guide friend I used to guide for, and he is working on a lnd hunt for us, but I am not too optimistic. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of being close by,........so please keep me abreast!!!!and good luck to you!

I am serious, as I hope you are.....I will come down if you want some company......plenty of full bodies and floaters......how 'bout my bringing a layout?

Regarding guns.....I use shotguns from six of those manufacturers....and like them all!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby on duck call » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:42 pm

We do need the cold or a lot of snow to have a worth while goose hunt. I am going this saturday for a mid day hunt. The geese have been dumping in this area in small batches and building to about 100 birds. Its public too.
on duck call
hunter

Postby on duck call » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:51 pm

Got out on a golf coarse and the two of us only got 5 birds; nothing moving!
on duck call
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting