coastline hunting

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

coastline hunting

Postby cthunter144 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 pm

just need some clearafication on a a law, so anywhere along the coast,tidal ares,rocky outcrops along the coast are huntable as long as there not private and within the 250 foot rule i can hunt from standing sittting or anchored in my layout style boat ? and just wondering im geting into diver duck hunting straying away from the puddle ducks now is there any other diver type ducks on the coast or rivers other then buffies and seaducks that people reguarley hunt in numbers ? thanks any help would be great
cthunter144
hunter

Re: coastline hunting

Postby toolmaker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:26 am

different scenarios , different rules.

if you are in your boat, the only laws that apply to you are the 250 foot rule amd weaher you are in a SPECIFIC area listed in the back of the guide as a NO HUNTING area.

if you are on land you need to be below the MEAN HIGH WATER mark as well as the previous two rules mentioned.

on rock outcroppings , I am not sure, because most LANDS are owned by someone and even a 30ft x 40 foot rock is usually someones property....but if it is out in open water , doesnt have any marking as to trespassing, Id go ahead and hunt it until someone fussed.

you cant hunt bufflehead, HENSONLY has a special permit that allows only him and his buddies to shoot them, but again he cant be everywhere, so i doubt he'd catch you!!

otherwise goldeneye, bluebills, some canvasbacks, some Ruddy Ducks and a few species of mergansers will also be encountered all along the CT coast in the winter... have at em

THE TOOL
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:00 am

thanks for the clearafications, and as for the species i guess i will add some more bluebills/canvasbacks to my kinda sad looking spread set up on the coast or in my boat and hope for the best, becasue my knowledge in diver duck hunting is not deep at all. also wondering will species like goldeneyes and buffies mix with bluebill ? so should my spread consists of both enless some species move on past the ct coast once december january come around ?
cthunter144
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:10 pm

I wouldnt bother trying to add bluebills just yet and dont even bother adding canvasbacks.

to hunt bluebills with any kind of results expected, you need to have scouted them and be in the area they are feeding in...then you need at least 18 or more, to pull even a few birds on a regular basis. And ideally bluebill hunters set several dozen decoys.

I would just suggest for a guy starting off to get some goose decoys, maybe 6 good ones, then a half dozen bufflehead, maybe a dozen would be better. 4 - 6 goldeneyes, 4 black ducks and 2 mallards..and you will be fine for hunting the coast. put the geese and puddlers close to shore along the bank, NOT in a pile.. put the buffies out by themselves in a small pod. then set the goldeyes maybe 10 yards off to down wind side of the Buffies. the further the goldene eye are from land or your boat the better they will decoy..of course the farther they are to shoot.. you will just have to learn your sweet spot distance for YOUR shooting skill VS getting them to commit. That should do you, as you learn for yourself this season and next.

and dont pay attention to the detractors here who just come to stir the pot... youll know who they are by reading the few posts they have already made...

good luck

THE TOOL
toolmaker
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:39 pm

thanks again you just saved me alot of time and money greatly appreciated, now for the season just to open up
cthunter144
hunter

Postby Lead Shot Only » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 pm

yo tool,
hensonly and myself are gonna beat your a@@ with dead buffleheads
see you soon :hi:
1 grebe
1 cormorant
1 sea gull assist
Lead Shot Only
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Lead Shot Only wrote:yo tool,

:welcome:
makes sense, you couldnt get any other ducks to try it with.

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby hensonly » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:40 pm

toolmaker wrote:
Lead Shot Only wrote:yo tool,

:welcome:
makes sense, you couldnt get any other ducks to try it with.

the tool

Now Now TOOL play nice--i thought we were all friends--don't be ashamed that 99% of your bag is made up of hen buffs---I was wondering if you could repost your reciepe for your famous bufflehead sauce again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks (Bufflehead) Hensonly
I like ruddy ducks
hensonly
hunter

Postby Lead Shot Only » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:49 pm

tool
i would rather shoot cormorant's with my air rifle at night and then buffleheads next, hens only of course
1 grebe
1 cormorant
1 sea gull assist
Lead Shot Only
hunter

Postby VT-Grouse » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:14 am

Serious question:

Why don't you like buffleheads? I mean, sure a mallard is better, but do you not eat them or something?
VT-Grouse
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting