How was the 2005-6 season for you guys?

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

How was the 2005-6 season for you guys?

Postby on duck call » Tue May 23, 2006 8:32 pm

I ended up with 75 birds and the boat 103 birds. 21 geese, 48 ducks, 3 brant, and 3 sea ducks (aproximately 25 outings or so). All my other buddies had a slow year. This year seem I was either nocking the hell out of them or nothing at all. In the past it seemed more consistant.
on duck call
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:11 am

On-Duck....I was able to 'salvage' a prety good season (even though I missed 90% of Oct, all of Nov and had my first Dec outing on the 17th)....the good news IMO was that the best gunning in NH and Maine is late and also with the warm January I was able to get in alot of 'comfortable' eider/scoter hunts....overall I had a great partial season! Only got in two CT hunts ......at the end of the goose season which were excellent.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Hi DUKHTR

Postby on duck call » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:18 pm

DUKHTR what happened that you missed so much of the season? Eider is one duck I have not shot yet. I think next year I will do a guided hunt or go on my boat to Rhode Island in late season and see if I can get one. I want on for the wall so obviously late season would be better. I have seen the pictures of birds from october and they lacked the plumage. Last year I did a lot of quick hunts and they were productive we'll see what next year brings us. I landed another field in the north zone for geese and some ducks. I have been giving some thought about guiding down the road; I'm a painting contractors so the schedule would work. I really enjoy seeing other people shoot birds they've never shot or just having fun. Connecticut lacks guides.
on duck call
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:21 am

Did a lot of diver hunting this year and only 2 puddle duck hunts.

We see eider from Niantic to N. Stonington if you don't want to buy an RI licence to bag one.
We don't specifically target them and still manage to get a couple each year. Should not be an issue if your setup for them in Eastern CT.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Hey major woods

Postby on duck call » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:44 am

So you do a lot of diver hunting. I got out three times last year for divers. The wind was tough last year and I only have a 16 foot lowe boat. We had one awesome day on the open water 2 guys 2 drake goldeneyes, 2 drake bluebills, 3 drake oldsquaws, 2 brant, a pair of surf scoters and 4 mallards 3 drakes. It was a nice mix bag day. Thank you for the info on the Eider. I have seen a couple around but never shot one. The conneticut river is as far east as I go usually but have hunted millstone power plant area a couple of times. I have some friends who hunt RI and do well on the eiders. All my birds that I have mounted are Connecticut birds and it would be nice to get an eider here. Enjoy your summer and get ready for the next season. Also I do meet people here online and we swap hunts. Its nice to have a change of scenery sometimes I can hunt three out of my boat. I have 100 decoys for divers 25 oldsquaws, 50 bluebills, 12 cans and 18 brant. I like joining with other guys who have boats and deks. With two parties you can put out an impressive spread.
on duck call
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 pm

1st......I was in a cast that entire 10 weeks......broken sezmoid bone in my foot and a fractured ankle........(jumped out of the bed of the truck and I guess landed a little too hard)

2nd.....Rhode Island has excellent gunning for eider....went to school at Roger Williams many mega-moons ago....was a great period and RI has Sunday hunting! I never even saw an eider on the Sound in all my years hunting CT, although I pounded scoter in NHaven harbor and along the Thimble Islands numerous times, especially when there was the late season bonus scaup hunt.

Here in Maine the later...the better IMO. I rarely go out on the Atlantic before mid Nov. Since we do not have Sunday hunting, the season goes 'till the end of January getting in all allowable days set by the Feds. I actually wish they would delay the season for seaducks closer to the end of Oct, then we would get gunning into Feb.....even if they had to split the seasons by region.

Ever hunt seaducks from a layout????? Talk about an awesome experience!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby on duck call » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Hey DUKHTR,

I hunt the Thimbles a lot as well as the New Haven rock walls. The scoters came through early last year and only a few bluebills mostly oldsquaws,Brant and Goldies. The last couple of years have been hit or miss at these spots. I'd love to hunt a layout but it seems like a lot of work and you need guys to help. If I do a guided trip for Eiders I would want to do a layout. Rhode Island does have some good Eider numbers from what I've heard. My friend hunts Point Judith and the mouth of the Barrington river and gets plenty of Eider. I have a 16 foot lowe boat a bit small for the big water but does fine checking the marine forcast and be ready to head in as soon as the wind picks up especially SW.
on duck call
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting