Rail Hunting

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Rail Hunting

Postby Ithaca33 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:36 pm

went out for rails this afternoon with my pup and well.....he retrieved his first bird!

He did amazingly well! I decided to hunt the hard marsh top with him upland style as he was being a bit restless in the boat. he's been having shoulder issues so I kept it short. About 30 minutes in he got half birdy, half confused lol but he eventually lock on hard and pointed for about 7-10 seconds before the bird busted. I dropped it 30 yards away and he held on the bank! I sent him and he did great retrieving in a mild current. After a few victory laps he came to heal and dropped it at my feet.

Overall, I'm stoked.

**And just as I previewed this I realized how "excited" he was about it lol
Ithaca33
hunter

Re: Rail Hunting

Postby retired1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 am

Very nice Pat - always wanted to try rail hunting but I know nothing about it. Hopefully there are many more retrieves and memories made for you and your dog this season. How's that reloader working out for you?
retired1
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm

the reloader has been awesome. I generally load nice lite 3/4oz shells for my sxs but have been messing around with some pheasant/rabbit loads now as well.

As for Rail hunting, I don't really know what I'm doing either. I went out on a high tide and push poled my boat along the fringes till i spooked one into the air. Only hunted for about an hour total but Im hoping to do it again soon.
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby wstober » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Conrats!

Most rail hunts are only about an hour. Your best success is on the peak high tides as the birds would much rather run or just plain hold tight. However if you get the pup to hunt them like quail it will expand your huntable time and allow for more flexibility to the schedule.
wstober
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 am

Congrats!!!! Nice memory and a great picture to share.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:38 am

way to get out and give it a go. Sounds like you and the dog had a good time. What layout boat is that ? I've been trying to find a used one but they are hard to find.
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Hey Pat,

Four buddies of mine just did a rail hunt in southern NJ. 69 birds!

Hope to see you out on the salt soon.

Kevin
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby Ithaca33 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:50 pm

its a marsh rat and I LOVE IT!!!! In fact I just finished patching a small hole in it with CTDeathfrombelow this morning(Long story)

Kevin, thats nuts! I pushed about 2 birds that morning. might go back and give it another shot or happen on them incidentally while jump shooting ducks.

Let me know when you want to go out, im around all the time.
Ithaca33
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting