calling all outboard owners

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

calling all outboard owners

Postby cthunter144 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:30 am

Can someone one please point me in the right direction for someone to call to get my Mercury outboard 3 hp fixed, within an hours drive of Berlin. Anyone any company big or small or even someone you know thats reliable and knows what there actually doing. I brought it to Boat works of south windsor and they told me for 120 and hour the would diagnose and then fix the problem. They were recommended by 3 people to me so I said sure. So 5 days later I get a call, oh nothings wrong runs just fine best we've seen of your model in years, we'll okay I wouldn't have brought it if there wasn't a problem, but whatever 300 doallars later there the pros, so go and use it today dies on me pours gas all over my boat and won't restart after 2 hours first person came by and toed me back 2 miles I'm beyond pissed off I would never recommend ct Boat works of south windsor !
cthunter144
hunter

Re: calling all outboard owners

Postby captmike69 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 pm

you could try outboard exchange in waterford
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Larry at Marine Sport Center in bridgeport on fairfield avenue....he is an old codger and grumpy as anyone...but he does stuff cheap and he knows a lot...been doing it a LONG time... when i get stuck.... I take my motors to him and he is far from me!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:34 am

don't let boat works get away with that!! If you paid by charge card, open a dispute immediately but give them a chance to make it right and when they do insist they come on a test drive with you, there's a ramp on Vibert road on the River about 10 minutes away from them

BTW if gas is pouring out the front it is likely a float issue which is an easy fix assuming a carb engine and not injected
golferboy426
hunter

Postby farmerjim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:40 pm

i think outboard exchange in waterford was already mentioned but a friend of mine deals with them and said they do a good job. if your pouring gas out most likely a carb issue and i would peg a guess as the float to be the culprit. if it was my motor i would just do a complete carb kit the new gas with ethanol is a real killer for small motors and outboards. good luck
farmerjim
hunter

Postby DIESEL96c » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Lb sea marine in east hampton good mechanics very good prices luke is a good guy
DIESEL96c
hunter

Postby JimG » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 am

Marine Services on West Main in New Britain. From Corbin Ave turn left onto West Main...down around 1/2 Mile on left
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions I did end up bringing it to Marine Services in New Britain because they specialize in out boards 10 years and older, and was close if he doesn't work out which would be ridiculous I guess I'm either bringing it to waterford or bridgeport. Thanks again
cthunter144
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting