Scouting!

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Scouting!

Postby Fallinskys16 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:03 am

How's your scouting going? Seeing enough birds out there?
Fallinskys16
hunter

Re: Scouting!

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 am

We've seen plenty of woodies and local mallards over the past few weeks. Nice push of geese into the area over the last week as well up here in Northest CT. Only seen a few teal, about 3 weeks ago.
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey passin through you wouldn't happen to be huntin the farm would ya? And ct river not a lot till you hit near the coast, a lot of woodies and teal near the center of the state
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby WhatIsDucky? » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Eastern CT is looking really good. Plenty of woody's and mallards. Decent amount of teal. Some ringnecks, black's, and a early pair of gadwall. I won't be hunting CT until Tues when RI closes.
WhatIsDucky?
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Luck you I can't wait till we can hunt on Sundays it will be so nice
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:25 pm

Lots of ducks all areas iv scouted, there calling this the year of the duck highest estimates of all time, well since they started keeping track. Hope the freeze warning for my area is right calling for upper 20's friday night gunna be a long cold wait in my marsh all night long
cthunter144
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm doing the same buddy's got the mud motor ready to go so pumped
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby mosherd1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Is Connecticut considering hunting Sundays? I have noticed more ducks earlier in the year than in years before. Geese seem to be the same number from what I have noticed and I live right on a large pond that seems to be growing numbers the same as in previous years. Why do some States allow Sunday hunts and others dont? Just to relieve some pressure off the birds?
mosherd1
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Ct was thinking about it but, it mainly isnts allowed because, of hikers and nature watchers i was told this by an officer, and he said that hey would give us more problems. I'm a firm believer that when hikers and others start to pay as much as hunters do then they should be allowed to have a say. Look at it now you can buy beer on Sunday smoke pot and not get in trouble, yet not allowed to hunt on Sunday, this is going to change too HOPEFULLY
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 am

I took my little brother out for the junior day last saturday. There were a decent amount of woodies out and about in the eastern part of the state. Not a huge amount but enough to bring us back to the same spot tomorrow. I'm also debating hitting up the shoreline tomorrow but I haven't scouted it at all and I don't know if I wanna chance it.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:00 am

A lot of birds down there well worth the try
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:04 am

Sunday hunting in CT has made it out of committee in favorable votes, even last session, twice now and not once has it made it to the floor for a general vote - both times it made it out of committee it was a bowhunting only /private land only bill. You can review the bill, the changes proposed and who proposed them, review the public responses as well as how everyone voted. http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=83&which_year=2012&SUBMIT1.x=0&SUBMIT1.y=0 The same no votes have been happening for years and are long term reps. Going to be a long fight until we replace a few of those long term dems.

All my early season waterfowl is done inland in northeast CT. Ducks are almost exclusively on public property while my goose hunting is mostly on private land. As mentioned all the experts are saying this is the year of the duck and from our early season scouting we have seen many more birds this year then the past 3. Video taped almost 200 birds piling into a roost two weeks ago the majority were mallards and woodies with a few blacks as well.
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 am

Skyline?
Fallinskys16
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting