Opening Day

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Opening Day

Postby SquadIrons » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 am

I hit up my wood duck spot today. I hiked in and found another hunter there. I had come across him before a few years ago and he was kind enough to invite me to hunt with him then, but this time I had my little brother with me and didn't want to bother him so we set up down stream a bit. We saw quite a bit of action. The hunt went well, aside from the fact that I'm a bad shot. I was able to drop two woodies but I went through a box of shells. My brother had a gun jam and didn't know what it was so every time he pulled the trigger he said "Ugh! I forgot to take the safety off!" After missing shots quite a few flocks I realized it was jammed. He had fun nonetheless.

How did you guys make out?
SquadIrons
hunter

Re: Opening Day

Postby duckstruck » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:38 am

Here is a good one for you!

We got back to the North Cove Ramp in Old Saybook and found a Town Parking Ticket on the truck as well as three other trucks at the ramp, because we did not have the sticker as the sign says.

We loaded up and left. Went for a little ride around the area and made a swing back to see if the other guys were coming in and they weren't. As we drove by we noticed that the trucks no longer had their parking tickets. Further down the road we saw two ladies walking and one appeared to have the tickets in her hand!!!

We were torn with what to do. Confront the lady, leave a note on the guys windshields, call the cops etc... My partner has not had much luck with LE and we decided not to get involved.

We got 1 mallard, Heard a few shots but nothing terrific and didn't see squat while scouting. :no:

Should have stayed in the north zone :huh:

Probably will do an afternooner up north.
duckstruck
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 am

My buddy and i got 3 green heads a teal and a nice pintail, my dad shot 3 green heads a teal, lots of booming great sign
Fallinskys16
hunter

Opening Day

Postby SquadIrons » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:49 am

I think I'd opt to not get involved as well. I won't be able to make it out this afternoon but I'll be out Monday morning. Not sure where yet.

Pintails and teal? That's awesome. I've seen teal but never shot one. That's on my bucket list. I've never even seen a pintail. Where were you, North or South zone and what kind of water were you hunting?
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:21 am

Decided to try the river where I saw the most birds scouting, 2 green wings for me, no other opportunities lots of shots north of me and LOTS of birds and geese high up, most teal iv ever seen buzzing around but all birds where on other side of river. Around midnight to 2 am non stop geese flyin the river sounded like hundreds high up also. And as of saybrook don't park anywhere but under the bridge, saybrook has the most cops per capita in the entire country and they all will write tickets if you don't have a town pass, no matter where you park
cthunter144
hunter

Postby STEELrainCT » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:31 am

Thier was 8 of us in our group so we split up so 2 came in my boat and 4 went in my buddies boat...my buddy had the hotspot thismorning the 5 of them ended up with 13 birds...they were blacks,greenheads and teal...i was the only one in my boat to shoot birds and got a goose and a teal...shouldve had more but we are horrible shots...for you guys that shot teal did u get any drakes...we only got hens.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:13 pm

we were not far from you cthunter. we left the bridge at 11 last night due to the tide. them geese were driving us nuts! we both swear we heard a speckle belly at some point! we ended up with 3 teal and 2 woodys. we were so cold by shooting time we had a real hard time shooting. missed a ton of birds. i folded a black and as it was falling it caught itself and glided to another guy that sounded like he was shooting a freakin punt gun. he dumped it. him and another group of guys were shooting at birds over 100 yards away!!! ended up jumpin in the drink after i managed to drop my beneli overboard! got it though thank God!
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Squad I was north on the river boom banging birds lots of fun this afternoon, Mondays gonna be rockin
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby drakedog123 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:27 pm

4 of us bagged10 and lost 2 others. 2 blacks, 2 greenheads, and 6 woody's. We had teal landing in the decoys while we were still setting up. All in all we saw a lot of birds and had some quick shooting. As usual we should have killed lot more if we could shoot straight. The most fun part of it all was hearing someone start shooting about 15 minutes before legal time, but what do you expect on A Saturday opener. Felt real good to be back out
drakedog123
hunter

Postby hardcoreducks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:35 pm

My buddy and i split up from my dad and sister. I got my limit and my friend got four. 5 woodies, 1 teal, 1 black, 3 mallards. Dad and sis got 3 birds (2 woodies and a mallard). Somehow we shot better than ever. Saw tons of wooducks.
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Well woke up this morning at dark and crisp 1:15 am to drive to ramp fueled only by some hot brown water the gas station claimed to be coffee. Arrived at the ramp at 10 after 2 where there was already an empty truck and trailer and one of the people in my hunting party and the other following us down the path to the ramp. Talked for a few minutes until more people started showing up and we started getting ready to put in. We launched at about 230 and proceeded left of the ramp unlike everyone else who ventured right as the tide is conducive to outboards. Got to our spot in about 10 minutes and asssessed the tide and wind situation unsure of the fickle conditions we waited till 430 to set up. We set up 18 battleships in front of our spot and 6 geese to the left on land. 7 minutes to shooting time we had ducks landing on the ground with the geese and 1 in the water. Unfortunately most of them left before LST and we scratched out a Black, from then on it was constant action with only a few other hunters around us it still sounded like Fallujah at 6:32 am. Spent alot of the time chasing DEAD ducks ripping down the river with the tide, even sprinting in some instances. At around 7:30 we saw a "dog" across from us bounding along the shoreline. I said "hey look it's a Coyote!" but 2 of my friends shot me down and said it was a guys Golden retriever..... NO WAAY! I know a Yote when I see one but they were adamant it was a duck dog but it eventually got closer and they acknowledged it as a coyote. We scrambled for our phones to check the season but it left...Until I started using a wood duck call to make an improvised yote call and sure enough the little SOB poked his head around the corner and stared at us but by then we found out it was out of season. Oh well would have been pretty cool to go back to the ramp with a coyote wrapped around my shoulders. In the end I left with a Limit of woodies a black and mallards!
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Wow, you guys are putting me to shame haha. Sounds like everyone had a great day. Good to hear that after coming off a season like last years. :fingerhead: Can't wait to get back out again...hate the sunday law thing. I have a lot to learn, I've never been as productive as you guys seem to be. Gonna hit the state scouting hard during the next few weeks for sure though.

Good luck to you all!
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby farmerjim » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:00 am

congrats to everyone who scored opening day. the spot we went to we had all to ourselves like usual, its 1 of our normal spots anyway. saw a bunch of mallards and woodies but nothing wanted to commit to the decoys and we don't like skybusting so no shots were taken until we were picking up the decoys and 3 mallards came in for a look, but the shooter missed. so we got the skunk opening day.
farmerjim
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:10 am

Capt mike I agree with the specks comment, we definitely were in the same area cause I could hear the difference between them and the honkers, for a second I was thinking snows but if you look up spec calls online it was definitely them, as for the honkers it was amazing to hear that many I feel like I could here them even after they were a mile down river, I saw plenty of skybusting to way over 65- 75 yards cause my spot was aright next to a rise I could walk up on and watch after I was packing up
cthunter144
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:31 pm

we were tucked all the way in the back corner of a cove and everyone else set up in front of us not knowing where we were. worked well for us actually. most of the birds wanted to be where we were and headed for us. the sky busting didnt even seem to bother them that much beacuse they were so high as people shot at them! they still came right down to us. the only thing that sucks about our spot is the tide. our decoys were high and dry until 40 min before shooting light.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby mosherd1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 pm

I experience the same thing with skybusters yesterday. Really got me upset. Why even have a duck call or decoys if they are not going to let the birds work and just blast away. It will be days before any of those birds work to any decoys. They cannot seem to think beyond the moment and think of what it means to other hunters over the next 3-4 days. In spite of them I still had a great day. One black, one hen woodie, 2 drake mallards, one hen mallard. My partner got a full limit for himself. Could have shot teal early in the morning that landed right in the decoys but my partner and I decided to wait for the larger ducks. Still was kind of dark and could have lost them in the shadows and we decided to pass on them.
mosherd1
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 am

I can say one thing for sure...I hate Saturday openers!!! We hunted close to home in a flood control area on public land and we had 6 groups of hunters. I saw more hunters Saturday in this spot then I had seen over the last 4 years there. The numbers were frustrating, but the shooting was slow for everyone and all seemed to play really nice which was a treat.

We had birds on the water from the night before so we didn't even set dekes and about 5 minutes before legal the woodies started leaving and it was a mass exodus after that. Not a single bird on the water once it turned legal. :crying: Oh well, we usually get a decent little shoot going as birds get pushed around from other spots, but not this day. We never worked a single bird. Only two shots by one group near us and my buddies down the far end got a little shooting it, but overall it was quiet in that spot. Just to the north of us sounded like a war zone. You could hear flock after flock of geese working up there and the boat motors starting up to retrieve birds. Usually when they are shooting them up we benefit from it but not Saturday.

We got the big stinky skunk. Couldn't hunt the afternoon so maybe Wednesday. Glad to see someone had success. Nice shooting boys!
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Postby commit » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 am

Well, it's good to hear some of you were able to bag a few and even more of you were able to shoot. I hit the spot I'd been scouting Saturday afternoon. Kinda knew the results when I saw the trail littered with wader tracks but gave it a shot anyway.

Hey at least I can come read the chats and see that many of us are still learning and I'm not the only horrible shot on this forum. :yes:

Can't wait for another outing this Saturday.
commit
hunter

Postby a_w_taylor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:31 pm

We saw a ton of birds on Saturday AM - downed one hen mallard. We should have had a lot more - but the early season adrenaline jinxed us. My buddies lab had her first retrieve - which was awesome! Not bad for the first time at a new spot. I hope to get out again this Saturday AM!

Good to hunting y'all!
a_w_taylor
hunter

Opening Day

Postby SquadIrons » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Went back today to that same spot. Only saw one duck. My buddy dropped it in one shot. Hoping to get out there Thursday Friday and Saturday.
SquadIrons
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting