hunting tides

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

hunting tides

Postby commit » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm wondering when the tide is going out do you prefer shallow water or deeper channels I.E. at low tide the shallow water would be say 3 or less feet of water or does this even matter?

I'm relatively new to hunting tides so I'm just looking for some strategies... hopefully not too many that land me high and dry or swimming for my boat.

Thanks,
Rick
commit
hunter

Re: hunting tides

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Depends on what your hunting for. Some birds like high tide to get up higher to feed and some like low tides that expose their forage. IE if your hunting the shore you will see more Brant at low tide as what they feed on is more accessable. As far as your boat goes in tidal areas the only thing you can do is find out what works for you and hunt around the tides, which isnt always ideal. Trial and error is the name of the game. If you know it's going to be low tide at ppoint "A" then you might have to go to your point "B" instead. Be tactical when picking your spots have more than one in mind for a hunt, "2 is 1 and 1 is none." I always have a back up plan for either the wrong tide or too many hunters in the same area, but I usually pay attention to the tide so there are no surprises.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Re: hunting tides

Postby STEELrainCT » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:13 am

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Depends on what your hunting for. Some birds like high tide to get up higher to feed and some like low tides that expose their forage. IE if your hunting the shore you will see more Brant at low tide as what they feed on is more accessable. As far as your boat goes in tidal areas the only thing you can do is find out what works for you and hunt around the tides, which isnt always ideal. Trial and error is the name of the game. If you know it's going to be low tide at ppoint "A" then you might have to go to your point "B" instead. Be tactical when picking your spots have more than one in mind for a hunt, "2 is 1 and 1 is none." I always have a back up plan for either the wrong tide or too many hunters in the same area, but I usually pay attention to the tide so there are no surprises.

the area i hunt i have 4-5 diffrent spots to hunt but im usually the first one at the ramp since i launch at 330 and cook breakfast in the blind...lol...i like high tide cause u can get in all the little potholes u normally cant hunt on lowtide...and my boat is heavy so i wont be able to get it out if it gets stuck in the mud.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting