"hybrid blacks"

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Re: "hybrid blacks"

Postby toolmaker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:25 pm

duckstopper333 wrote:Just going through some of this year's pictures. We weren't in CT, but my partner counted this bird as his black duck although in CT I'd count it as an "other".

the new law this year , in CT....says its a mallard.... you have no choice about it

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Of course you're right Bob. I guess I was thinking Mass. The black/mallard in my picture was shot in NY and I'm not sure what it counts as there.

What's the verdict in NY?
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:25 am

duckstopper333 wrote:Of course you're right Bob. I guess I was thinking Mass. The black/mallard in my picture was shot in NY and I'm not sure what it counts as there.

What's the verdict in NY?

far as know, it counts as OTHER..........but out on LI, be carefull!!!......i guess it comes down to the specific warden....which i seldom see wardens in NY

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Re: Re: Re:

Postby Bonasaman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:12 pm

the tool

you need to deal with some CT COs.............ny COs are way laid back and easy to get along with..(at least the ones i have met)

many CT co's assume you have committed a crime and its their job to figure out what it was.....

i see the federal warden a few times a year in CT..i thin ill put this question to him and see what his reply is.

of course that does nothing to prevent a CT co from issueing a ticket the very next day for the same thing.

and you are right..how you interact with the COs goes a long way to making everything pan out good......BUT its NOT A SURE THING...........

its like there is a quota in CT.....

Ill get checked once a year maybe in NY

i get checked almost EVERY trip in CT

the tool

Just to throw in a good word for the CT DEEP, I had a CO pull up next to me in Kent on Saturday as I was loading stuff back into my car after an upland hunt. He was as pleasant as could be, asked me about my hunt, about my dog... could have been just another hunter. Never asked to see my license.

just sayin
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Bonasaman wrote:the tool

you need to deal with some CT COs.............ny COs are way laid back and easy to get along with..(at least the ones i have met)

many CT co's assume you have committed a crime and its their job to figure out what it was.....

i see the federal warden a few times a year in CT..i thin ill put this question to him and see what his reply is.

of course that does nothing to prevent a CT co from issueing a ticket the very next day for the same thing.

and you are right..how you interact with the COs goes a long way to making everything pan out good......BUT its NOT A SURE THING...........

its like there is a quota in CT.....

Ill get checked once a year maybe in NY

i get checked almost EVERY trip in CT

the tool

Just to throw in a good word for the CT DEEP, I had a CO pull up next to me in Kent on Saturday as I was loading stuff back into my car after an upland hunt. He was as pleasant as could be, asked me about my hunt, about my dog... could have been just another hunter. Never asked to see my license.

just sayin

did you have a barking dog that day???

I was on the Stanley side going duck hunting, and some one on the other side pushed a big buck across the river...looked like a horse wading the river!!!!!!!!

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Bonasaman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I was on the Stanley side going duck hunting, and some one on the other side pushed a big buck across the river...looked like a horse wading the river!!!!!!!!

the tool

No, not me. But there was a guy hunting a pack of beagles. One of them got separated from the pack and came trotting down the road towards me. He was friendly and would heel. He had two phone numbers on his collar... called the first one and reached the guy hunting. Heeled his dog back towards him until he could hear the pack and the owner, and off he went. Texted with the guy later... he asked me if i wanted to buy the dog... lol.. guess he wasn't too happy with him.
Bonasaman
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Bonasaman wrote:

the tool

No, not me. But there was a guy hunting a pack of beagles. One of them got separated from the pack and came trotting down the road towards me. He was friendly and would heel. He had two phone numbers on his collar... called the first one and reached the guy hunting. Heeled his dog back towards him until he could hear the pack and the owner, and off he went. Texted with the guy later... he asked me if i wanted to buy the dog... lol.. guess he wasn't too happy with him.

that guy is ther elike every weekend..and then during the week I bet as well..... he has a beagle that cant weigh more than 5lbs...it is so young and small!!! funny as heck
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm

duck.jpeg
What would you call this one
Tanner01
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:46 pm

I don't see any white above the speculum, so I'd call it a black if you're in CT.

Where's Bob when we need him?
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:01 am

I would say its a black, just surprised out out teal colored the feathers are compared to the blue on a hybrid.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 am

Don't see any white, but can't really see the black above the speculum.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:10 am

i dont think id try to judge a black-mallard-hybrid, based just on the COLOR of the speculum. I remember seeing purples, blues and the teal colored specs....a lot just depends on the angle of the photo and the amount of light that hits it..

based on that picture.....seems hard to call it anything but a black

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Lead Shot Only » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:38 pm

I shot some buffies today. Want me to bring em over? We can cook em up tool?
1 grebe
1 cormorant
1 sea gull assist
Lead Shot Only
hunter

Previous

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting