Courtesy at the swamp

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Courtesy at the swamp

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Went duck hunting Saturday on public land in a big swamp. Set up about 1:30 with a sneak boat knowing that I would not see anything until the last few moments of shooting hours other than perhaps one or two drop ins. About 3:30, in come two other hunters in kayaks. The swamp is about 900 acres so there is plenty of room. The start toward where we were set up and since we were camouflaged and low in the water I stood up and waved so they could see us. They proceeded to move directly behind us about 75 yards away. With the gun laying across my chest under the flip doors it was pointed literally straight at them so I had to reposition the boat to stay safe. Now DEP posts the sunset chart on the web site and for Oct. 20th it says 6:02 pm so in my mind I am shooting until 6:01 and 59 seconds. 5:58 comes and these other hunters start to pick up their decoys, 6:00 pm and a group of about 1o birds come in and as they are turning into our spread they see the other hunters moving around and they take off for parts unknown.
Are these guys clueless or is this how it is with other hunters. They were loading up their truck pretty quick but I still met up with them at the launch and not even an apology for setting up on top of us or blowing the only ducks to drop. If the birds came in early they probably would have sky-busted them.
When I set up I adjust the position so there could be multiple people hunting different areas, not the first in too heck with the rest attitude I see sometimes.
Should I have been mad about this? :mad: Or am I overreacting?
Any body else have a story about other inconsiderate hunters?
Tanner01
hunter

Re: Courtesy at the swamp

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Well If they were only 75 yards away from you then you have a right to be mad seeing as that is an illeagal distance from you as the minimum is 100 yds. Happened to me on oppening day! Some A hole in 14' v hull with 2 kids and anoth adult putted in to my spread at 7:30 and birds were circling our decoys! :mad: Then they stopped about 100 ft to the right of us for about 5 mins and then slowly went further down the marsh. If I hadn't have had most ducks by then I would have been screaming at the guy, if your going to get up late why the F bother to go????? :mad: And if the guy that did it is reading this Stay the #@%$ home next time!!!
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Moe Greene » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Ct dfb, I see your making friends again. Huh? So if I can't be out before lst i can't go hunting??? Yeah ok ......dude your hunting public land on a saturday opener get over it. Maybe next time I see you I'll set 100 yards away and skybust every bird I see cause your such a tool...have a good night :hi:
Moe Greene
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Moe Greene wrote:Ct dfb, I see your making friends again. Huh? So if I can't be out before lst i can't go hunting??? Yeah ok ......dude your hunting public land on a saturday opener get over it. Maybe next time I see you I'll set 100 yards away and skybust every bird I see cause your such a tool...have a good night :hi:

WOW Moe Greene I am surpised you could read all that! You seem like the kinda guy who can only read the first few lines of the directions for Vagasil! Youre an Internet gangster who only talks crap behind the safety of his own computer, sure youll set up 100 yds from me but youll be too much of a nussy to come any closer, have a great season! :fingerhead:
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby STEELrainCT » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Glad i dont have that problem at my hunting spots...lol...everyone is very courteous.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Moe Greene wrote:Ct dfb, I see your making friends again. Huh? So if I can't be out before lst i can't go hunting??? Yeah ok ......dude your hunting public land on a saturday opener get over it. Maybe next time I see you I'll set 100 yards away and skybust every bird I see cause your such a tool...have a good night :hi:

what are you, Lead shots alter ego??????

everyone knows that its a lot of effort to get up early and get set up on time.....all the die hards do it....and while accidents happen and people have slip ups and get out late...they usually dont dilly dally if they are late if they have respect.....they know they blew it and should go out of their way to not ruin the guy that paid his dues and got there on time....

I am furious at my hunting buddies who are late...because I dont want to be the guy who NOT ONLY doesnt get to the spot on time for the first light flights...but i dont want to be the guy who is ruining it for the other guys first light flights....

its critical in marshed and rivers.....not so much out opn the sound....its a big place you can go way around.....in the marsh....you cant..

and as far as making friends........you are doing a stand up job.... you and the ONLY's can have a circle jerk!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Moe Greene » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Making your nightly rounds huh tool????You two should just get a room and get it over. So two guys that want to take their kids out hunting should get berated by some jackoff cause he thinks he owns the marsh??? Way to get the next generation involved.I guess the guys bass fishing the river have no right to be there either right??? And Ill tell you what, the next time someone shoots across the marsh and spooks the birds I'm working I'm gonna give them a piece of my mind. :mad:
Moe Greene

Postby toolmaker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Moe Greene wrote:Making your nightly rounds huh tool????You two should just get a room and get it over. So two guys that want to take their kids out hunting should get berated by some jackoff cause he thinks he owns the marsh??? Way to get the next generation involved.I guess the guys bass fishing the river have no right to be there either right??? And Ill tell you what, the next time someone shoots across the marsh and spooks the birds I'm working I'm gonna give them a piece of my mind. :mad:

yeah drop the old Kids hunting bomb and we are all gonna cry....

no one blames the kids....the adults know the way of the marsh.....

and I am sure when anyone one of us who respect hunting( your not one) sees a kid in the boat we calm our attitude right down..

but we wont from jerks like you...who want to shove it in our face
its classic that youd be the guy to skybust to spook birds working another guys spread

I have NEVER dont that...it tackless

id rather trudge over there in 3 foot of mud and tell him my mind before i start shooting to spook birds....because thats Moes tactic

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:56 am

Alright guys, I'm 19 and my buddy and I were in the water by 345 on opening day, and there was still guys out earlier than us, Tool and CtDeath have been doing it right all along, if you want to hunt get there early enough not to screw up other guys. It a common courtesy, the kids want to go out, then they should be ready, duck season opened when I was young I practically slept in the truck. Take the crap talking else where because Tool and ctDeath are right you want birds get them the right way legal way and safe way. And mainly don't be careless about messing other guys up, die hards have it down to a science just because your late doesn't mean you can mess the other guys up because you screwed up
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby commit » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:49 am

I certainly agree with FallingSky16. I was introduced to duck hunting at 22 years old. (did other hunting as a youth) the first thing I was taught was being respectful of fellow hunters/non hunters. I like the taste of waterfowl but I'm not about to ruin anyones outdoor experience for my benefit. I plan to be the first person to the spot in the morning (If you can't commit, stay hom). If someone beats me to it then they planned better than me and I go to plan B. I make every effort to get away from the crowds even if it means less birds partly because I have a not so well trained dog who loves to retreive ducks, but mainly because I want to do everything I can to ensure everyone on the marsh has a good hunting experience, afterall there's only so many days to hunt (especially in CT).
commit
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:47 am

Moe Greene- If a hunter puts the time in and makes an effort to be there in the right spot at the right time what makes it OK for you to lessen the experience for him. Public land or not how about a little respect for other people. CTdfb might express his dislike about that situation he encountered but he was not the hunter getting in the way of a productive day, he did his work and got up on time, to a good spot to get the ducks. You're attitude about setting up 100 yards away and skybusting because you don't like him is what I am talking about. I might not like the way a guy sets up in the best spot or think his duck calling is chasing birds away, but if he is there first than I find a good second spot or even a third spot. I try to respect the other guy and try not to duck block him. Opening day in western Ma. we were the third guys in. We set up in a horrible spot because we were unwilling to ruin their day, they cleaned up and we got just one. I could of been a jerk and every time they came high over us turning into the other spreads I could have skybusted them.

Deer hunting in the state forest and I am walking down the main trail. There in the middle of the trail is a guy sitting in his tree stand. I apologized and had to bushwhack it around through the thick stuff to try and avoid ruining his day any more. I think he was a jerk for setting up on the trail, but he was there first so I respected his spot and worked extra hard to get to my spot with out using the nice easy trail. I also stayed in my stand well past shooting hours so I wouldn't disturb him on my way out. That is the way I was taught growing up, you have to share the woods so show them the same respect you want and expect.

I am sure there are a lot more examples out there, like I said maybe they were just clueless or maybe they made a mistake, or they could have that same attitude as Moe Geene - "dude your hunting public land on a Saturday opener get over it."
Tanner01
hunter

Postby hardcoreducks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey deathfrombelow, i'm pretty sure I was up the river from you opening morning with my buddy in a canoe. That same guy came and set up about 100 yards from me and my buddy at about 9 45 and we started getting sprayed by shots so we left. Guy was an idiot.
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:59 pm

hardcoreducks wrote:Hey deathfrombelow, i'm pretty sure I was up the river from you opening morning with my buddy in a canoe. That same guy came and set up about 100 yards from me and my buddy at about 9 45 and we started getting sprayed by shots so we left. Guy was an idiot.

Sorry you had that happen to you hope you had a good day otherwise. It certainly sounded like everyone was having a good time!
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Lead Shot Only » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Tool, can't wait to slap you back into NY, why are you such a handy? :clapping:
1 grebe
1 cormorant
1 sea gull assist
Lead Shot Only
hunter

Postby drakedog123 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 pm

I agree with you guys on this one. I've grown up hunting on public land and have some horror stories of guys setting up on top of me. I don't understand why some of the guys out there insist on going out and having one spot in mind. I pride myself on being the first one out on the water and I always have at least one or two back up plans if someone is in the spot I wanted. Why would you want to ruin your day and someone else's? There are plenty of places to hunt. Do your homework and get there early. And also guys talk about sky busting on this topic. Remember sky busting birds will turn around and bite you in the ***, because all you're doing is making those birds smarter for next time. If you need to fire your gun that bad then go to the range. And as for this moe greene guy, apparently nobody introduced you to hunting the correct way. Keep up the good sportsmen attitude or we're all going to lose out.
drakedog123
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Lead Shot Only wrote:Tool, can't wait to slap you back into NY, why are you such a handy? :clapping:

did your parents have any kids that lived?

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Don't worry tool, 1 grebe really this guy needs a reality check
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby STEELrainCT » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:55 pm

This is the exact reason why I dont hunt the ct river...i like the groups that hunt around me we are all repectful and we bs about the hunt back at the ramp.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Postby Fallinskys16 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:37 am

I hunt below the ferry and most of the time we have guys who are courtesies, and very friendly, I was pushed always from salmon river due to the hassling at the boat launch by hunters and Feds every time I went out they were there and continued it so I stopped, down near the ferry we have a lot of guys who are willing to offer a guy in a kayak a day with us instead of having to paddle, this is what hunting is about, my buddy and I shoot a lot of birds due to scouting and preparation, don't just go out at 545 and expect to get birds and then get mad that someone is set up by you "secret spot" wave or nod and move on get over it
Fallinskys16
hunter

Postby drake176 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 am

i had this happen to me opening day, i was on state property and there was a group that came in late and decided to sit strait across from me. several times i would be working birds and they would start whaling on some POS call and scare the birds away. then birds would fly double the height of the trees and the 3 idiots would unload. to boot they shot at birds directly over my head which caused me and my friends to be rained on my pellets all morning. what a way to start the season! im so tired of all of these yuppie idiots getting into this sport and ruining it for all of us who depend on this sport as a way of life.
drake176
hunter

Postby DIESEL96c » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 pm

i agree with a little of everything everyones said. that being said its a good thing earlie season is almost over sounds like you guys need to take a break and relax. dont take it the wrong way anyone .
DIESEL96c
hunter

Postby falcon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I have a secret spot that I've had for years and for the first time this year when I arrived this past Saturday I was greeted by a pair oF flashlights. Where they were was far enough away from my spot but still in the same swamp. Well I went over to meet the guys and was friendly and polite and guess what so where they. We both shoot birds on this morning and on the way out bull chitted again for a little while. Sharing the secret spot turned out ok and i met a decent fellow water fowler too. I really didn't think it would go that way when I first saw the lights in the dark on the way in. Too bad more of this couldn't go on.
falcon
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 pm

falcon wrote:I have a secret spot that I've had for years and for the first time this year when I arrived this past Saturday I was greeted by a pair oF flashlights. Where they were was far enough away from my spot but still in the same swamp. Well I went over to meet the guys and was friendly and polite and guess what so where they. We both shoot birds on this morning and on the way out bull chitted again for a little while. Sharing the secret spot turned out ok and i met a decent fellow water fowler too. I really didn't think it would go that way when I first saw the lights in the dark on the way in. Too bad more of this couldn't go on.

it only turned out good, because you were nice enough to take the initiative and go introduce yourself....

so you helped yourself in a way..

good hunting

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Just getting in on all this banter. I hunt Wheeler at least 30 times a year. That place is a complete cluster *uck with a lot of dipshit hunters. When you are on public land it's something you will without question have to deal with at some point.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby Moe Greene » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Haha gotcha all. Im just messin with yall. I would never set up on somebody let alone skybust birds their working annoys the $hit outta me too... I just wanted to get everyone all fired up.... Sound familiar tool? Ever been to Cromwell???

Moe :hi:
Moe Greene

Next

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting