Courtesy at the swamp

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Re: Courtesy at the swamp

Postby STEELrainCT » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:36 am

UGADawg wrote:Just getting in on all this banter. I hunt Wheeler at least 30 times a year. That place is a complete cluster *uck with a lot of dipshit hunters. When you are on public land it's something you will without question have to deal with at some point.

I hunt wheeler also but hunt it late in the season and at high tide...definiatly not alot of people that want to talk at the ramp after wards...they just load up thier boat and hottail it out of thier...lol...seen alot of bs thier at lowtide and one guy shot my buddys boat in feb...its more of my last resort spot.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:16 am

STEELrainCT wrote:
UGADawg wrote:Just getting in on all this banter. I hunt Wheeler at least 30 times a year. That place is a complete cluster *uck with a lot of dipshit hunters. When you are on public land it's something you will without question have to deal with at some point.

I hunt wheeler also but hunt it late in the season and at high tide...definiatly not alot of people that want to talk at the ramp after wards...they just load up thier boat and hottail it out of thier...lol...seen alot of bs thier at lowtide and one guy shot my buddys boat in feb...its more of my last resort spot.

Its so funny, everyone I talk to thinks Wheeler is a "late season spot" and "garbage" when you compare it to other areas in CT. That place holds birds every day out of the year, and if you know how to hunt it right you will almost always bring birds home.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby STEELrainCT » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:31 am

UGADawg wrote:
STEELrainCT wrote:

Its so funny, everyone I talk to thinks Wheeler is a "late season spot" and "garbage" when you compare it to other areas in CT. That place holds birds every day out of the year, and if you know how to hunt it right you will almost always bring birds home.

I never said it didnt hold birds...it holds alot...i just have other places to go hunt before I go thier...i have 4 other marshes I would go to before that...i like wheeler cuz its usually a pretty good shoot for geese...not saying nothin bad about the birds not being thier just sayin thiers alot of stuck up people that think they own the whole marsh and would kill for thier spot.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Postby Birdwatcher78 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 pm

Hey just thought everyone would like to here what actually happened. My buddy and I decided to try a new spot AKA "the marsh" and arrived at 2:30 not 3:30. We spoke with a nice lady on shore who showed us where the two other hunters went. Since this is a public spot and we mostly hunt private we were worried about blowing up someone else's hide. We skirted the farthest opposite shore and set up all the way in the back. After about 30 mins we heard talking and noticed the two other hunters milling around (by the way I carry a range finder and you were 110 yards away). These two super hunters sat and shot the bull as we listened for about two hours as we saw about ten ducks fly over their heads. We decided not to skybust even though they were shootable. Then for about an hour I got to here these yahoos echo my calling in fear that they were missing out on something. When 5:58 rolled around, which was sunset by every paper and internet site known to man we began to pickup when at 6:08 (not any earlier) a flock of birds landed in the middle of the marsh. So, as we laughed about the ducks having watches, we proceeded to watch the ducks pile in. So when we got to our truck we got to meet the fine gentleman who is bitching in the rant. I greeted him with a hows it going and he proceeded to whine about us cutting his angle. What he failed to mention was the 20-30mph winds. As far as I can tell waving in camo from a marsh full of waving reeds is retarded. You had a dog blow your whistle. Maybe make an effort instead of whining. We would have moved if we though there was a problem but since every duck we saw came from your angle we figured it would be fine. I guess some of us just can't share and play nice. I think maybe you should also mention the out of the 900 acres only about 150 is huntable due to low water. So dry your tears there will be more ducks...and just because you get there at 1:30 you don't own the swamp....and that my friends is the rest of the story. Not so anonamous now are we?
Birdwatcher78
Newb

Postby Tanner01 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 am

You can try to spin it any way you want.
You recognized the post because those are the same words I used with you at the parking lot.
I am not going to exchange jabs back and fourth but.....
You said you hunt mostly private so perhaps you don't know how to be considerate when hunting public areas. I hunt only public areas and always make an effort. I scouted that Marsh and have hunted it for years, there where no less than 4 other good spots with one of them being better than my spot and all of them better than yours.
We must have been hidden pretty well that even standing up in the layout boat you did not see us?
Won't call you a liar, because I don't know you, but I would suggest you recalibrate that "range finder" it is reading a little off.
If my watch was broken and you came in at 2:30 and saw us 30 minutes later than you were either lazy or inconsiderate, you still had several hours before shooting ended. Who should have made an effort us or you and your buddy.
The only milling around was readjusting so the shot gun was not pointing right at your heads from the layout boat. 100 yards is the rule as a minimum but safety is always the first concern regardless of the distance.
If all the ducks were coming from our angle what were you going to do, shoot over our heads?
Why would you be calling the ducks from our spread to yours even the DEP has that listed as wrong behavior when hunting the same areas.
You are right some of us cant share and need to set up right on top of other hunters! Oh wait that was you!
In the future if you set up tight on somebody just recognize it and own up to it.

I would bitch about your duck calling too, but that was actually pretty good, I would rate it a close second to the guy I hunt with. Seeing some of the other posts here a little crowding in the swamp is the least of the things that can happen. After venting and "drying my tears" I realize I was just as wrong if not more so for giving you an ear full at the boat launch. I suppose there are at least two sides to most things and if you really thought there was no need to move and you were in the right then me bitching at the boat launch to you was wrong and I apologize. Thinking about where we set up we were duck blocking the best spot in the far back.

I am finished with my rant, and this post. No hard feelings I have gotten over it.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby GuitarPlayer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Reading some of these replies... Sheesh, no wonder non-hunters think we're a bunch of savages :rolleyes: While it can be frustrating if someone sets up close to you, is it really worth screaming over? I mean... I don't know. You don't know what could have happened. Maybe the person had boat troubles, like this morning. We had difficulty getting the outboard started (no choke on this one, instead there's a silly valve... Richmond valve, I believe it's called?) and it wasn't just us, because the guy on the other side of the launch was having a trouble with his motor too. It could have been someone else, either parked in the middle of the ramp or launching his/her (political correctness, you know) boat without pulling it to the side to allow someone else to launch. So I guess what I'm getting at is before we call ourselves sportsmen, we should first be able to call ourselves gentlemen. Does that make sense? Or am I just more tired than I thought... :smile:

Excuse me. I meant to say anti-hunters, not non hunters... I'm going to go to sleep and see if my post is as coherent as it seems now in the morning... :wink:
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Previous

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting