Duck Hunting Forum banner

CRAP early season

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Lead Shot Only 
#1 ·
so i am just wondering, has anyone else had a horrible season compared to years past? i have been seeing really decoy shy birds or just simply no birds. hows everyone else doin here in ct?

#2 ·
I would say it was much better then the previous year!!! The only cold day we had was opening day so I am sure that played a factor as well as the birds getting a quick education. Most places got shot up pretty hard so what ever birds were around werent stupid. I only missed 2 days of the early season and was only skunked 2 of the days I did hunt so I would considder that pretty fair. Just hope this hurricane doesnt F everything all up and we should expect a pretty good season considdering the eastcoast is the only area that has water. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
it will certainly be a crappy season on this forum....it was bad enough when we had dik wads Hens Only, and Lead shot only...posting JUST like Moe Green does now....all season long...nothing postive....and the mods just let them ruin the site...

so now we just doubled the moron count

I tell anyone... go look at lead shots, hens only moe greens, past post......add them all together and see if you get 5 posts that actually opffer contstructive advice to anyone...its all putdowns

they are probably sock puppets...now Northen pride is their buddy

yeah its gonna be a great year........

the tool

#5 ·
why is there so many misserable people around here? i mean, i know it connecticut but what the ****. people are supposed to be shooting the **** about huntin. its one thing to break balls once in a while but why be a dick? on that note. i didnt get out but three times. saw tons of birds. did a good number of missing early on.

#7 ·
Since my superduty hit the crapper the day after the opener I wasn't able to get out much but the 4 days I did go I seen great numbers of ducks either leaving early though or coming back late very educated very fast this year, I thought I had a honey hole to myself considering iv never seen anyone within 500 yards of this spot, but I'm now totally a believer in ct is way to over populated with duck hunters and to little spots for us to go unless u have private permission which I only have 2 of. If I was the federal man in charge I would make minimum distance between duck hunters 300 yards not one hundred way to many sky buster if your not early tough look but sorry or join me, the group in my so thought honey hole I watch them shoot at birds well over 65 yards like are you serious, I don't care if u have extra full choke and using the new 3 and a half super shells u will never drop more then 5 percent of the ducks you shoot at, there just over educating and making it harder for guys who love and hunt for the thrill of birds in your face, with open chokes. And as for the s%»« talking everyone remember everyone can be the nicest guy to you at the ramp and in the field but everyones a tough guy when there sitting home at night in there chairs eating a hot pocket nothing will ever change. And agreed hope sally doesn't wash away all food like irene did I'm so excited for December and january its the year of the duck ! And is everyone seeing the geese numbers I am, all day every day I work for an arborist I look up hear honking and seeing great numbers, sorry for the rambling don't get the chance to post on here much, happy deer hunting ! Till the opener !

#8 ·
I probably need to change things up drastically late season by reading the rest of these posts. I hunted northern CT early season, was able to get out 4 times and not a shot fired, not a bird in range. I haven't seen the numbers of ducks as others but as I've been at soccer with the boy I've definitely seen the loads of geese that just seem to keep coming. hopefully late season will offer more opportunities.

With any luck will the amount of bs on this forum will be reduced greatly with the storm coming in.
:biggrin:
Rick

#9 ·
this season is way better than last year...alot more teal around than last year...hopefully the birds calm down a bit and get stupid again...i wish geese were open longer I couldve put a hurtin on them the past couple days...i cant complain about hunters thiers only been one other boat in the marsh I hunt and we both wait for birds to decoy...20-25 yards cupped over the deeks is ideal for me and I dont shoot past 30 yards as my improved cylinder will just not be effective.i hate chasing cripples so I pick my shots...fired 14 rounds and got 5 birds so far so thats not bad for me.

#10 ·
Lots of ducks and lots of people in my public land spots. I've seen more people hunting this 10 day split this year then the last 4 years combined. Not sure why either. We did have lots of birds but they spread out pretty quick when 6 groups are hunting the same swamp on opening day. :eek: Had better luck being where the ducks wanted to be then to decoying them, but that is typical for me. Lots of geese over the last two weeks, seeing them every day and we were covered up in them yesterday for our final hunt of the split. We did OK with the ducks and a few 5 man limits on the geese so we were happy. Going to be a long wait for the second goose opener though. Time to get some deer hunting in with the bow now.

#11 ·
i am NOT trying to be negative by any means or have anybody think im a negative guy cause thats simply not true, tool. i simply am asking other guys if they are seeing the same things i am, if not then obviously im in an over hunted area. me posting this is just askin a few fellow hunters if there seeing it to. sounds like its kind of 50/50 with some guys seein the same stuff. sorry if i am causing anybodys depression on here

#12 ·
drake176 said:
i am NOT trying to be negative by any means or have anybody think im a negative guy cause thats simply not true, tool. i simply am asking other guys if they are seeing the same things i am, if not then obviously im in an over hunted area. me posting this is just askin a few fellow hunters if there seeing it to. sounds like its kind of 50/50 with some guys seein the same stuff. sorry if i am causing anybodys depression on here
no worry drake.....my comment wasnt as much addressed to your post as it was a wake up call to this forum...that a few guys here are on track to ruin this forum again this season.

as for the content of your OP....i would say it is way to early to make a call on the season...its was just a week or so old...

I am sure several spots held a ton of birds just like usual... maybe if we could get some of those guys back on the forum we would hear a little more about whats going on.

good luck

the tool

#13 ·
I hunt a private area in South Windsor, Basically a roosting spot . I did very well my best in a long time, Probably went 7 times I think, skunked once cause I was late and not much flying after the initial pass. Hunted several evenings and saw birds and got shots each day. I hunted in my camo kayak for those who recall those pics. I have not yet been successful jump shooting from the yak many are flushing in range but flying at an angle that I'm not comfortable shooting from. I did get several birds from a stationary kayak

Anyway I've seen more birds in other years but this year was still average at least.

I had a very enjoyable early season.

I had wood duck stroganoff this evening for dinner, Yummy!!

#14 ·
I was able to get out probably 7 times (counting just stopping by a local swamp on the way home from work.) Got one goose no ducks, but saw a good amount most times. And had a couple land in the decoys a couple of times, just some how they timed it perfect with something else happening so didnt get them. It was a good though, its nice to work the bugs out and go to new spots before it freezing out.

#16 ·
Lot of ducks the first few days as usual. Then after some pressure they go we're they aren't harassed or leave for states south. Overall I saw the same amount of birds. For guys like TOOL don't worry those divers are on there way and they'll be here for you to set up on--- or maybe even easier try setting up for the Wiley seaduck :thumbsup:
Good luck to all hittin the swamps and marshes for puddlers and the good divers :thumbsup:

#21 ·
JimG said:
Tool, this is why I'm in lurker status....perhaps I should take the moderator job and rule with an iron fist..... :sniper:
james, you KNOW who Hens Only is!!!, would you really rule with an iron fist?????????????

its pathetic the office he holds, and posts the way he does here...on the CONNECTICUT forum

the tool

#26 ·
I know this is an old thread but....

Opening day was nice and cold as mentioned, lots of willing mallards came in and we got 3, plus one black duck. Blew a few mallard shots and saw some Woodies in the decoys before shooting time.

Was out twice more in the same spot and everything was VERY educated very fast in my limited experience.

After late season opener the ducks continue to be very educated and wary of my spread. I've gotten some unwary teal and buffleheads to come in, and 1 gadwall, but the 5-7 mallard flocks laugh at me.

happy hunting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.