Sandy

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Sandy

Postby Dakota » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:09 pm

What is your thoughts on how or if Sandy will affect the start of late season.
Dakota
hunter

Re: Sandy

Postby cthunter144 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:36 pm

I spend about 50 percent of my time in the ct river and all up and down the coast and what I noticed after irene was last year there was very little, if any food and it made it very tough to find consist spots. So I'm praying to the duck gods it takes a direct turn into baltimore so we don't have a repeat. And from what iv seen and heard on tv and radio there saying much worse the sandy and extreme record low pressure and that's not good, plus ct and mass will have the worst storm surges, some say worse then hurricane bob.

Also if no one has seen the images from nasa of last year and the ct river dumping into the sound I suggest you google it, very crazy picture and there saying sandy will be worse !
cthunter144
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Who knows but this sure looks to be a perfect duck hunting week weather wise, sure wish it was open
golferboy426
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I saw tons of birds suddenly today. A coot some ruddy ducks a bunch of mallards and geese and a bunch of distant sea ducks or divers of some sort over the sound. Seems to me the bitch helped with something!
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:39 pm

captmike69 wrote:I saw tons of birds suddenly today. A coot some ruddy ducks a bunch of mallards and geese and a bunch of distant sea ducks or divers of some sort over the sound. Seems to me the bitch helped with something!

Hope you made out ok up there Mike! Saw a bunch of ducks off of 95 in a flooded field, and by bunch I mean 1000's! I think the snow in the south pushed some birds up, hope they stay!
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am

it migth have a huge effect on Norwalk. The huge paddlewheel steamship island belle trashed the docks at veterans park ramp.
it looks like a section of the docks is gone...

i doubt it will be repaired before spring.
it would be feasible to see them just clsoing the ramp for the winter....using the damage as an excuse to rid the area of duck hunters.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Dakota » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Hopefully it's an excuse to fix the ramp. See my thread from last year... That ramp coat me some money. Right after the storm there were tons of mallards in the top of the niantic river. They seem to be gone now though. I'm sure all this flooding has done wonders to the marshes
Dakota
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Dakota wrote: Right after the storm there were tons of mallards in the top of the niantic river.

They are there (out of the hunting area) every year :mad:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:31 pm

That is a place the gets loaded. I think they know they can't be hunted. There were noticeably a lot more birds right after the storm. It seams back to normal now. I haven't looked into any of the marshes. Put the one in Preston along rt2 looks loaded with crap
Dakota
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting