Coastal Spread Sizes

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Coastal Spread Sizes

Postby SquadIrons » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm looking for what you guys use for puddle duck spreads on the coast. What would you consider a large spread and what's a small spread? I have been running exclusively mallards (about 1.5 doz) and buffleheads heads/blue bills (never shot a blue bill though). I'm not new to duck hunting, but I'm far from an expert and still trying to learn. I don't seem to be getting anywhere.
SquadIrons
hunter

Re: Coastal Spread Sizes

Postby STEELrainCT » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:02 am

SquadIrons wrote:I'm looking for what you guys use for puddle duck spreads on the coast. What would you consider a large spread and what's a small spread? I have been running exclusively mallards (about 1.5 doz) and buffleheads heads/blue bills (never shot a blue bill though). I'm not new to duck hunting, but I'm far from an expert and still trying to learn. I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

it all depends my buddy carrys a bag in with 4 goose floaters and a couple mallards and does ok and other times we load up the boats with 40-50 goose floaters and a dozen or 2 mallards and most of the time the ducks that come in end up sitting in the goose decoys...what ive figured out is as it gets later in the season put more goose decoys out and less duck decoys...im far from an expert also but this is what has been working for me over the years.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Re: Coastal Spread Sizes

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:16 am

I usually just go by what ever I see flying. If I see big flocks I bring big spreads. If I see small flocks I still bring big spreads but I don't set them up. You can always put more out if you have them or take some away. But if you don't bring Em you can't use Em.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting