my hunt

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

my hunt

Postby ericbarber » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:20 am

I went out this morning to a new spot and bagged a couple of mallards. One of them appears to be a hybrid, half mallard and half what appears to be a white peking. I saw tons of birds landing I just seemed to be in the wrong spot. Cant wait to cook them up. How did everyone else do?
Last edited by ericbarber on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericbarber
hunter

Re: my hunt

Postby captmike69 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 pm

got any pictures of it?
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby ericbarber » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:20 pm

i do. i thought i included a picture but i guess it didnt load
ericbarber
hunter

Postby ericbarber » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Moe Greene wrote:Nice pet duck :thumbsup: did you groundswat him too???

lol he flew into the spread he was fair game. but honestly it was just cracking light. I didnt notice his size until i picked him up and said "WOW this is one heavy mallard" and then i saw the white on his neck and did one of these :huh: . Im going to cook him up tomorrow hopefully he taste good.
ericbarber
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:58 am

Agreed ^ always the same people maybe that's why ct is looking for new mod.

Hope everyone did better then I did slept in the marsh only to have one group of guys come set up within 125 yards at 545
Of us when there was not another group for a half mile, and skybusted every damn duck within 150 yards my buddy even got video with his iphone truly pathetic, there callin sounded like a dying duck also. Group of 3 of us only took one shot at a woody and folded him up they wanted to stay but at 845 I had enough packed up and left.
I feel like whenever I post this is the story, anyone else seeing the common occurrences ? Ruining our sport of waterfowling ..... Btw we counter 47 shots of there's 2 crippled ducks
cthunter144
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 am

I'm not blaming you at allbut

did you talk to them before or after to nicely educate them? Did they know you were there? etc As for the shooting some people just don't understand how far to lead and that takes a lot of misses to learn and accept the new sight picture. Even with experience old habits kick in

I gotta hope these people just don't know any better

5:45 sure is a little late when legal was 6:02 ish if I recall
golferboy426
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Golferboy, I did not talk to them on way in seeing how birds were already flying by time they were setting up and I was already hunkered down waiting , also I did not talk to them on way out cause I leave a way no one else does cause I park in the woods, and it would not have been good considering how mad I was and stressed out, I know it would have been better to do that I just don't want to critique somones shooting style either while they have loaded guns in there hands. So my bad on that one, also had no clue who they were cause if I did there no friends of mine and wouldn't be after the words I would have exchanged. Do agree with what ur saying with sight picture and there lead, takes a while to get used to it but I shoot at 85 percent cupped birds so my leads aren't that long. Happy hunting !
cthunter144
hunter

Postby drakedog123 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:28 pm

I chose to sleep in this opener. I am a lineman for cl&p and just finished working 16 hour days on Friday. After hearing all of the banging on the river I wish I had gone out. I hope everyone killed a lot of birds. I had noticed that sandy seemed to have brought a ton of mallards down. I hope all on here cashed in. Mark my words, some will die tomorrow
drakedog123
hunter

Postby ericbarber » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:39 am

drakedog123 wrote:I chose to sleep in this opener. I am a lineman for cl&p and just finished working 16 hour days on Friday. After hearing all of the banging on the river I wish I had gone out. I hope everyone killed a lot of birds. I had noticed that sandy seemed to have brought a ton of mallards down. I hope all on here cashed in. Mark my words, some will die tomorrow

The mallards are everywhere. I was expecting wood ducks still but only say 4 woodies and 25 mallards
ericbarber
hunter

Postby hensonly » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 am

Nice bag. To bad a whole flock of those Jumbo mallards didn't come in-- You'd have food for the rest of the year. I saw a similar looking mallard on a lost / reward flyer last week.
Seems to be less ducks around than usual but there here If do your homework
We found some birds this weekend with a couple of bonuses a drake pintail and a drake male mallard banded in 2003 in Ste Foy Quebec :thumbsup:
I like ruddy ducks
hensonly
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am

Hey Hens!!

no pic ...no truth :wink:

We found some birds this weekend with a couple of bonuses a drake pintail and a drake male mallard banded in 2003 in Ste Foy Quebec :thumbsup:
golferboy426
hunter

Postby ericbarber » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 am

bagged two more beauties this morning.
ericbarber
hunter

Postby GrndSwatter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 pm

sweet farm duck...that was probably some kids or old persons pet that they fed everyday...not good...golferboy i was with henonly i can tell you its true not that we have ANYTHING to prove to you... as far as pics the only pic you ever posted was one of your little boat you dont shoot duck out of :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
GrndSwatter
hunter

Postby commit » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:48 am

Went out for the opener Saturday. I was happy to be in a spot all by myself. What a day it was for the ducks. They were working my spread and seemed to want to be where I was. With my shooting I only bagged one mallard drake but it wasn't due to lack of opportunity this day, got me all juiced again for some winged steaks. I'll be goose hunting Sat as I don't have the time available to hit the river in my usual spot. No Pics because my phone is a piece of s***, but that a story for a different forum.

Happy hunting,
Rick
commit
hunter

Postby ericbarber » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 am

meh the "farm duck" is long gone. if he was flying he was fair game.
shot a coot and a beautiful wood duck drake this morning.
ericbarber
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:52 am

Eric congrats on getting out there and closing the deal on a few birds... That's what the sport use to to be about!
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby ericbarber » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm

JTrottaNY wrote:Eric congrats on getting out there and closing the deal on a few birds... That's what the sport use to to be about!

haha thanks! ill be out there tomorrow morning hoping to bag a few more green heads
ericbarber
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting