Oh No Another Noobie

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Oh No Another Noobie

Postby shadowalker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey everybody, another noobie here looking for some help. Im from Watertown, ct looking for a good place to hunt ducks. This is my first season doing it, I just graduated so I have a little bit of time before graduate school. I tried Black Rock in thomaston a couple times, a lot of effort just to see a couple ducks. Any help at all will do, I really appreciate it!
shadowalker
Newb

Re: Oh No Another Noobie

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 am

some days it is a lot of work to see few ducks even no ducks. It happens so get used to it. To improve your odds, scout, scout and then scout some more or you can just step out on the water, drops some dekes and take your chance. I've done both. Remember the ducks need different things at different time (cover/shelter, food, etc) and many things cause those needs and places to find those needs daily and even hourly (think tides, weather, etc).

Don't get discouraged get out, learn and enjoy. It is worth it.
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Postby shadowalker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:50 pm

PassinthruOutdoors wrote:some days it is a lot of work to see few ducks even no ducks. It happens so get used to it. To improve your odds, scout, scout and then scout some more or you can just step out on the water, drops some dekes and take your chance. I've done both. Remember the ducks need different things at different time (cover/shelter, food, etc) and many things cause those needs and places to find those needs daily and even hourly (think tides, weather, etc).

Don't get discouraged get out, learn and enjoy. It is worth it.

Thank you
shadowalker
Newb

Postby falcon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I can't stress this enough. You need to scout. I know it sucks but that's how you find spots. I 'll give you a little advice. The cold weather is coming and a lot of swamps and small lakes will be freezing over soon, that's when you head to the streams and rivers to duck hunt. It will be the only open water around. Just which stream or river is what you'll have to look at and decide. starting out is a little difficult and as much as i've waterfowled I still get skunked or scout areas before work and lose 2 hours of pay to find no birds flying into that area. Don't get me wrong you will find areas that produce pretty consistently. For now start with some public areas in the hunters guide. Good luck.
falcon
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:47 am

It's called duck hunting, not duck shooting. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting