12/8 Report

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

12/8 Report

Postby a_w_taylor » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:09 am

6am high tide, very light breeze, light rain, 6:36am legal.

Jumped a few ducks and geese paddling in. We ended the day with a hen black duck and a hen hoodie. Both circled and committed to our set/calling.

Brought my buddy who moved up from VA to Scarsdale. He was very entertained with Ffld County waterfowl hunting! Quite a difference compared to the huge lease on the Pamunkey Indian Res he has in VA.

I quickly pointed out that it is better than no hunting! Not as many birds around as 2 weeks ago. I still think the migration hasn't really kicked in with this recent warm spell. Quite a few shots heard all around.

Anyone else get out?
a_w_taylor
hunter

Re: 12/8 Report

Postby toolmaker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:58 am

i am seeing huge numbers of mallards...all on fresh water, all spread out in groups of 2 to 30. the ponds are all open , it is warm, people are still feeding the ducks in their back yard ponds...there is little reason for the puddlers to head to the shore yet.

although I did hunt the salt thursday and saw a group of at least 50 puddlers in two or three spots. I suspect they are mostly mallards that live on the shore year round mixed in with some migrant black ducks.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Re: 12/8 Report

Postby golferboy426 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 pm

damn few ducks in south windsor i'm talking under a dozen came in tonight at the roost swamp and that was 15 post sunset
golferboy426
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting