Not many Birds

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Not many Birds

Postby hardcoreducks » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 am

Hunted four times this week, in three hunts managed 2 mallards and a goose. The one hunt we did well on we got six birds, still not many though. It looks like Christmas week is supposed to get very cold, which will be great for hunting.
hardcoreducks
hunter

Re: Not many Birds

Postby GuitarPlayer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Watched a squirrel restuff his nest today. That's as good a sign as I've seen
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Postby hardcoreducks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 pm

where there's squirells stuffing their nest theres always ducks, thats the saying, lol
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:03 pm

didnt see anything today. some high flying geese and a bunch of crows.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:01 pm

every body of water i pass is holding mallards.... I drove through the state last saturday to hunt seaducks on the sound and we saw mallards every place there was water...

if you cant find mallards.... :huh: :huh:

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby hardcoreducks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:21 pm

They sure are....every place you can't hunt
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby farmerjim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:38 am

went out this am didn't see all that many a few small groups. we scared out some geese off their roost as we walked in surprised to see them in this spot, usually they're roosting on a pond close by. just after shooting time had 2 woodies come in but i missed, again surprised to still see them around. had some high flying mallards around also but they were on a mission that didnt include our location. when i had been scouting this spot earlier and earlier hunts we were where they wanted to be. maybe its time to head to the coast and see whats down there, being a semi noob never been to the coast, i have a couple of spots im going to scout and give them a try. problem is i only have a yak or have to walk in so i think that limits me a great deal.
farmerjim
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am

I'm seeing some divers on ponds, some blacks in the swamp, geese wherever there are "No HUnting" signs. Definately seeing more birds along the coast. And have been hearing/reading about birds north of us. I'm just not seeing the concentrations here yet.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm

ive shot four mallards every day since saturday. But Ill say the number in my CT spots have been cut in half or worse...

NY is still holding lots of birs the places i am going...

the temps dropping into the 20s evry night have pushed a lot of birds out

but you never know we might get a new wave from up north
the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:50 pm

There are LOTS of birds!!! Just not where you can hunt..... I hunted a marsh on Christmas Eve in the afternoon and only saw 1 duck, until I packed up after last light and watched as a hundred or so ducks swarmed into the marsh quacking and chuckling away (laughing at me). Nothing is frozen, or was frozen at least, so they are loafing and feeding pretty much anywhere they want. After tomorrow some places should be locked up.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby GuitarPlayer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:There are LOTS of birds!!! Just not where you can hunt..... I hunted a marsh on Christmas Eve in the afternoon and only saw 1 duck, until I packed up after last light and watched as a hundred or so ducks swarmed into the marsh quacking and chuckling away (laughing at me). Nothing is frozen, or was frozen at least, so they are loafing and feeding pretty much anywhere they want. After tomorrow some places should be locked up.

There are birds, but since everything is still open they're so spread out. They're like early season geese...
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting