New Areas to Scout

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

New Areas to Scout

Postby UGADawg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 pm

All,

Looking to scout a few new areas in CT for waterfowl. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the following areas.

1. Lord Cove area near Essex Village and Old Saybrook
2. Pattaconk Resevoir in Cockaponset State Forest
3. Quinnipiac River Marsh Wildlife Area north of New Haven
4. Cromwell Meadows - Looking for a good access point.

Not a noob here, I put in my time - just looking for some guidance.
UGADawg
hunter

Re: New Areas to Scout

Postby sbeIICT » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Oh man :welcome:

did you stumble upon these unknown areas by word of mouth or on the DEP public lands page?

Never heard of any of them
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:02 pm

If you know what looks ducky and where birds like to be then google earth is your BEST friend.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:06 pm

if you cant spot the sucker in the room...well, sir, you are the sucker. :grooving:
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks for your help.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:57 pm

UGADawg wrote:All,

Looking to scout a few new areas in CT for waterfowl. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the following areas.

1. Lord Cove area near Essex Village and Old Saybrook
2. Pattaconk Resevoir in Cockaponset State Forest
3. Quinnipiac River Marsh Wildlife Area north of New Haven
4. Cromwell Meadows - Looking for a good access point.

the Qinn is a great place to hunt...it isnt easy to access, and holds birds all season especially the opener, and it gets a lot of pressure early. if you look on satelite sites and see great ducky looking spots...then its a good bet they will hold ducks....we all know if a spot looks ducky, there is a reason!

Lord Cove and the Saybrook area is a historic waterfowling mecca...but the last 15 years or so, the state has closed down many areas....so make sure you read up on all the no hunting areas in the back of the waterfowling book. Sometimes....MANY times access is THE ISSUE with great spots.....ESPECIALLY state lands...all the easy access areas get hammered....if you have a big enough boat you can launch far enough away and make the trip to those hard to reach places... they dont have public ramps everywhere, but they have enough of them...

good luck

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm

UGADawg wrote:

If you arent a "noob" here and have put in your "time" then why ask questions as broad and generic as you have asked?

Good thing Tool helped you out because it would have taken you all of 5 minutes on a google search or maybe 10 minutes on the DEP site to answer every single question.

But I guess since you aren't a "noob" and have put your "time" in, you already knew that, Dawg.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby cjr » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:27 am

First time posting here but wanted to add a little bit about Lord Cove. The southern portion (with the large open water) is privately owned by a duck club and they are militant about not allowing others to hunt their land.
cjr
Newb

Postby toolmaker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:52 am

cjr wrote:First time posting here but wanted to add a little bit about Lord Cove. The southern portion (with the large open water) is privately owned by a duck club and they are militant about not allowing others to hunt their land.

I am finding it hard to believe that navigatable water in that cove could stand as private in court.
the may use strong arm tactics and harrasment....and it works for them...

unless they have it on a deed from 200 years ago...i dont believe they can kick people off the water.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:55 am

One of the few places that has grandfathered the deed to the land under the water. Potapaug Gun Club. Might be best to avoid it so you dont set up a meeting in court with a few of the "connected" members...
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby JimG » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:48 am

Actually, along the north shore part of the large cove is part of the WMA.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/wildlife/ ... ap355a.pdf
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 pm

sbeIICT wrote:
UGADawg wrote:

If you arent a "noob" here and have put in your "time" then why ask questions as broad and generic as you have asked?

Good thing Tool helped you out because it would have taken you all of 5 minutes on a google search or maybe 10 minutes on the DEP site to answer every single question.

But I guess since you aren't a "noob" and have put your "time" in, you already knew that, Dawg.

I asked questions that broad for a reason and I wasn't asking anyone to tell me the intimate ins and outs of the areas because I'm not a noob. The information I was hoping to gather is "good, bad, ugly, overshot, overhunted, holds birds, doesn't hold birds, etc" - basically, is it worth going and scouting there. Like any hunter should know - telling a person general information about an area as large as any of the ones I listed doesn't tell you how to get into birds....that is what scouting is for. Anything on the DEP website will tell you legalities, contingencies, and access...so not sure what you mean there.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Tool - thanks for the thoughtful insight.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 pm

UGADawg wrote:
sbeIICT wrote:
UGADawg wrote:

I asked questions that broad for a reason and I wasn't asking anyone to tell me the intimate ins and outs of the areas because I'm not a noob. The information I was hoping to gather is "good, bad, ugly, overshot, overhunted, holds birds, doesn't hold birds, etc" - basically, is it worth going and scouting there. Like any hunter should know - telling a person general information about an area as large as any of the ones I listed doesn't tell you how to get into birds....that is what scouting is for. Anything on the DEP website will tell you legalities, contingencies, and access...so not sure what you mean there.

Im still confused. How is the quinny "large"? A canoe and a kayak and a couple hours will give you as much as you can see ... or paddle.

If you yourself said if you know what is ducky and know where birds like to be, google earth is your best friend, then please explain and defend your argument again because it doesn't hold weight. :hammer:

You listed some pretty major and historic hunting spots in CT. Any duck hunter in CT knows them, at least half of them and many hunt there quite a bit. I'm having trouble understanding. You just clarified that you were looking for information, things like overshot, overhunted, holds birds, doesn't hold birds. Then you said the DEP website will tell you legalities, contingencies, access. Have you seen the topical maps in .pdf form? Combine that with google earth and your knowledge of what is ducky... :no:

Connecticut has a limited number of public waterfowl spots, and the few you listed are some of the largest and well known. Any half-wit could tell you that they are overshot, overhunted, birds are there, birds arent there, are good, are bad etc...

Im all for helping you, but you could have been a little more tactful and sent a PM instead of blanket posting this so now that there are 150+ views.

Also still confused how you put in your "time" already.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby Versatilehunt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 am

Well, I am a noobie. I dig all the comments, good and indifferent. I have a dog now which is trained via NAVHDA criterea and have started waterfowling 2 januaries ago. I don't uasually go out with anyone but the dog and have walked in until the past year using a canoe. Now I have to figure out where on the shore I can use that.

I have checked DEP sites have gone to these areas scouted looked for access areas launches whatever I can find. Talk to anyone around for walk in areas and it's worked to a certain degree. Some places I have gone back too and others not. Have had to learn how to call, don't think it's too good but I can get some to come around. Actually have taken a couple ducks and geese. I hunt north of waterbury until January then head straight south.

I think the original post is asking should I scout these areas or is it a waste of time. Just get out there check it out! I did. To me most places look duckie, but I'm new so I just see whats going on. So, a question - some of you state look at satelite view. OK what am I looking for? Thanks.

By the way the last few week i've seen smaller diving ducks possibly brown and some white, groups of 3-5 together all about the smaller lakes or large ponds totalling maybe 15-20 birds. You will probablly tell me to look at a photo guide, but i figured I'd throw it out there for an ID question.

Thanks, be cool.
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby hardcoreducks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:23 am

ruddy ducks?
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:05 pm

hooded mergs? the hens are very brown and the drakes can be deceptively white with that big head crest. I also see them a lot on small lakes, ponds etc.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby STEELrainCT » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Yup most likely hooded mergs....fun to shoot but taste like sh*t...i havent pulled the trigger on one in years cuz I only shoot what im gonna eat.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Postby Versatilehunt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks,

Kind of look like both. Appretiate the taste advisory
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:02 pm

drake hooded merg is a nice mount.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby Versatilehunt » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks.

Earlier in the post one mentions look at satelite view in order to see if it looks duckie. Being a noobie most all DEEP locations look duckie to me :huh: . When I scout those areas and I can walk in somewhere, I see ducks I give it a try. Satelite views show me chanels that I can't see walking in and what I can't walk to. Advice about satelite view? New post to come in regards to canoe.
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:39 am

Idk, ask UGADawg hes a pro with the satellite view.

get a boat versatile. not a canoe, a boat.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Versatile - I'm really only 5 seasons into the waterfowling as my childhood was spent hunting deer, turkey and small game. If you want to pick up info and learn I would start by reading up, trying to meet folks with more experience than yourself, get involved with DU, and find the cell phone numbers of a few DEP Officers. But most of all think like a duck....they need food and caloric intake, protection and comfort, and mobility and convenience.

I'm no pro, but that is what has helped me thus far.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm

I agree with GA!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I've often room in my boat, PM me.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting