Are we losing our sport?

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

How old are you?

Teenager
3%
20-30
37%
31-40
14%
41-50
31%
51-60
11%
61+
3%

Total votes : 35

Are we losing our sport?

Postby JimG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:40 am

I'm noticing things this year, more so than others..... empty parking lots at the launches. Only once this year, opening day included, have I not been the first guy at my favorite launch. When I do see guys back at the launch, they are all in the late 40's to mid 50's age group, with the exception of this Monday where I saw a pair of young guys (22ish) giving it a go with a Coleman Scanoe and electric motor. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the lack of crowds, but where is our sport in CT going to be in 10 years or 20 years as my age groups gets out of it due to old age?
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Re: Are we losing our sport?

Postby JimG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:41 am

:fingerhead:
JimG
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:53 am

Hard to tell, but offhand I'd say no.

This economy doesn't help things. Lots of people either don't have the cash right now OR are working extra to regain that safety net and don't have the time...I am one of the fortunate ones in that latter category. When I do have the time, I am just plum beat. I think for the younger crowd, this is especially true, and will continue to be until they establish themselves and find the time and resources to pick up waterfowling. This is an expensive and time consuming sport, and it takes a certain degree of dedication & discipline to scout, research the right equipment and then be willing to chock up a few skunk days. I met a couple of 20-somethings the last time I was out, and they were scouting the area after their boss had recommended thay take a look.

Interestingly, I also had my 16 y.o. son with me. It was the one time so far this year he was able and willing to ask me to go hunt. Between grades, sports & chores he has about the same amount of time that I have, nevermind trying to find a job and driving me crazy with driving lessons :eek: . But I KNOW at some point after college and whatever else he chases after that he will want to chase a few ducks & geese with the old man, because that's how he is, and I think it will always be in his blood. And then he will probably pick it up on his own after that.

I think we need more than one season to really know.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby falcon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am

Well Jim are you hunting with anyone younger trying to pass the sport along. I can understand if you're not as you can't hit the broad side of a barn and as far as knowing where the ducks are it doesn't matter cause you're lucky to find the launch in the morning. LOL

Seriously. The past few years the guys I've been hunting with have all been in their late 20's. I'm the old man in the group. A few will only go if I ask them if they want to go but there are a few who are very dedicated and scout and hunt as much as me and even more. I've only hunted with one guy my age this year. I guess it just depends on who you run into and hang out with.
falcon
hunter

Postby JimG » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 am

I have a 27yo who tags along once in a while and got his 14yo brother out once as well. New gf has a 19yo but time will tell if he develops an interest.
JimG
hunter

Postby hardcoreducks » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:19 pm

I am 22 years old, and personally got 4 friends within a couple years of my age to get into duck hunting. They all seem like they aren't going to stop anytime soon.
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby cut'emalljack » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Not hardly!

I'm 34 and I've introduced my two younger brother-in-laws to the sport.
13 year old

11 year old

Cut'em
"Spot burning is for novice duck hunters, cyber scouters and pot-stirrers"

Proud member of Team FYG NEWTON
cut'emalljack
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Judging by the debauchery i saw today in the marsh (sky busting, leaving cripples, calling at birds clearly working one decoy spread..) i would not be inclined to take a young hunter out.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:02 pm

sbeIICT wrote:Judging by the debauchery i saw today in the marsh (sky busting, leaving cripples, calling at birds clearly working one decoy spread..) i would not be inclined to take a young hunter out.

You'd be surprised to see that a lot of those guys have some gray hairs.... But If that is the case it's because many new hunters don't have the family tradition of duck hunting or hunting in general so they don't have the mentors and this state also doesn't have that many people willing to land a helping hand. I my self do not have any immediate family who duck hunt so if you want a few laughs ask about my first time lol.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:38 pm

I sure as hell hope we are. I don't care if I never see another soul out there other than my crew and me....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:32 pm

It's a valid question Jim, and a tough one to answer. I hunt mostly by myself or with a handful of guys I know locally between the ages of 24 and 30. My brother actively brings his two boys (14 and 7) out with him hunting whether it be waterfowl, deer or small game (obviously the 7 year only tags along). I think it is every waterfowlers obligation to pass on the craft and the passion. The ducks we hunt today and the land we are able to access is of a direct result of the participation in the sport, the purchasing of licenses, the patronage and lobbying by groups like DU, and the conservation efforts of many. If our numbers dwindle and our sport declines, I suspect the hunting will as well.

I bet most hunters on here in there youth of waterfowling took shots they shouldn't have, acted like an butt, skyblasted or treaded on the sanctity of the unspoken waterfowling lore and etiquette. That's what the learning process is for and for older hunters to show them how to do it the right way. What is more fun than shooting a shotgun at moving targets, in the cold, alone or with friends? For me, not a whole hell of a lot. Once you get past the euphoria of the shooting you remember that it is ducks you are shooting at and that they aren't indefinite and that avoiding cripples, taking the right shots and hunting the right way is of the utmost importance. Again, it has to be someone's job to pass it along.

I posed this question to my sister and mother of two young boys recently, what is the future of COOL for young men and boys? Is it video games, iphones, computers, and all the other non-visceral modern BS that kids are doing these days? I don't know - it's mostly a factor of what society feeds them.

All in all, I fear it myself and I fear the age of "when men were men" may be closing. But that's just my two cents.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:29 am

Go read the "pussification of America" thread in the honey hole......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Those are some awesome pictures there! Great job getting them out early.

As I write this my 16 y.o. is playing Xbox, and my 13 y.o. is y.o. surfing next to me. They both also enjoy the outdoors, because we got them out there early. I grew up playing Atari, but still wanted to roam the swamp behind the house more often than not. The 16 y.o. and I backpacked for 3 weeks this summer in Colorado and New Mexico (we dodged the fires). There's nothing wrong with the newer technology and games, but they will return to what they have fun with.

Take a kid hunting and fishing and whatever else you can do in the outdoors, but don't judge them for exploring their world. Keep them safe and legal.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:44 am

Citori16 wrote:Those are some awesome pictures there! Great job getting them out early.

As I write this my 16 y.o. is playing Xbox, and my 13 y.o. is y.o. surfing next to me. They both also enjoy the outdoors, because we got them out there early. I grew up playing Atari, but still wanted to roam the swamp behind the house more often than not. The 16 y.o. and I backpacked for 3 weeks this summer in Colorado and New Mexico (we dodged the fires). There's nothing wrong with the newer technology and games, but they will return to what they have fun with.

Take a kid hunting and fishing and whatever else you can do in the outdoors, but don't judge them for exploring their world. Keep them safe and legal.

Well said!!!!!! :beer:
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby Rubber Hook » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:23 pm

I agree with Jim as there are not the amount of duck hunters out there (any age) as there used to be. 12-13 years ago at one public spot opening day if you didn't get there by 2am you weren't gonna find a spot and there were 30 trucks in the parking lot already. The last few years that same spot maybe 17 trucks there for opening day. And the rest of the year, anywhere else, no one or 1 or 2 others out there. But duck hunting is demanding and requires alot of time scouting to do well hence all the bashing on here as if it was as easy as walk to the creek, shoot ducks, go home no one would care about spots or areas but it takes effort to find those spots. I think for a lot of youth a video game is instant entertainment, season always open, and you know your gonna shoot some zombies... everytime. I think thats one of the many reasons kids are getting fatter, they're not outside, be it walking in the woods or paddling across a lake instead of infront of a TV eating junk food 6 hours a day after school.
Rubber Hook
hunter

Postby GuitarPlayer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am

I hunt with 2 out of 4 of my siblings and my dad. My friend hunts geese (went with him one time, fields are weird)
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting