Past Week of Waterfowling

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Past Week of Waterfowling

Postby UGADawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 am

Been hunting a pretty good bit the past week between Fairfield County and Upstate CT.

Did a flooded field hunt Christmas Eve in upstate - saw a ton of birds moving around but they were acting very funny and were not decoying well at all. Didn't have any shots worth taking. However, we did grill up some nice venison sausage in the blind.

RedSeasFly-49535-duk2.JPG

Wednesday I floated a river in CT and did pretty well. Set up decoys for first light and floated another mile and a half or so pass shooting and jump shooting. Wound up with 4 honkers and a drake mallard.

RedSeasFly-49534-duk3.JPG

Hunted Thursday morning at Wheeler - HEAVY winds and some ducky weather. Pretty good action but not as good as I expected. Got one drake mallard and a blue wing teal hen.

Hunted Friday afternoon at Wheeler - really started to see a lot of high fliers and migratory action. Birds decoyed pretty well but not great and there were a good number of other groups out there many of which were skyblasting making the birds weary to decoy. Managed to scratch off a drake mallard.

RedSeasFly-49536-duk4.JPG

Hunted Saturday Morning at Wheeler until around mid day. Tons of birds flying around, many groups of high fliers, and more people than I have ever experienced in the marsh. Tight quarters and plenty of skyblasters. Missed on a few buffies, but managed another drake mallard and a merganser pair.

RedSeasFly-49537-duk1.JPG

Hunted New Years Day with woodienwc and another bud. There were a couple of other groups out but it was not as packed as I expected. The migratory birds are really making a push - we saw group after group of ducks come in from nearly every direction. The ducks were very wary to decoy today and there were a few skyblasters raining on our parade making it even more difficult. Saw maybe 15 different groups of geese, three of which decided to play. The first group to come in was a group of 20 or so that landed just outside of our spread. As they were landing we noticed a group of 60 or so behind them. Rather than taking the long shots at the first group, we let them land in hopes that they would bring the bigger group in on our heads. About 200 yards out a group of skyblasters (taking 60 yard shots) busted up the big group sending them out of the marsh (they didn't take down a single bird). The group that landed then swam out of our area and at that point we thought we had missed our big opportunity of the day. About 30 minutes later two more groups came into the marsh one of which, a group of 4, decided to drop in. Cupped up and coming in strong, we let them get over our deeks before we dropped all 4 - it was awesome. As woodie went to grab them in the kayak, i said to lee "I bet one of em is banded" and not a minute later after Tim picked up the first bird did he exclaim "we got jewelry". Got to the second bird, another band - and on to the third bird, another band, though the fourth was not. My first ever banded birds and it was pretty surreal. Unfortunately no ducks but nothing beats breaking in my "b-card".

RedSeasFly-49590-photo15.JPG
UGADawg
hunter

Re: Past Week of Waterfowling

Postby O2Fsh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 am

Nice post.

Wheeler has been tough this year with the crowds and skybusters.

On the 28th we walked in on a HUGE group of geese before shooting light. Hid behind an island, waited until shooting hours, then walked my boat in on the group of >50 geese (they were everywhere grass, mud, water). They didn't react to us until we were within range. The shooter missed em all clean.

We set up, and managed to pull in some geese that didn't leave.

Nice day even if the engine wouldn't start.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 am

Hope you werent the one who shot a couple of mergs in a main channel then didn't bother to retrieve. Looks like you got a couple mergs that Saturday morning, which is when I personally saw this crap. Same 2 guys shot at least 15 other shells at what I am guessing were more lawn darts. Hope it wasn't you that was set up blasting at every diver that flew the channels and then shot up every group of black / mallard that passed as close as 100 yards. :no:
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Please explain the rationale of Skybusting????

Here are your options;

A) I don't get out much and I want shoot as much as I can while here.
B) Hey, it's worth a shot? Watch this?
C) I really can't judge distance so I think I can hit that?
D) Let me shoot at it before the guy who it's decoying to gets a shot?
E) I must kill something.
F) I like noise
G) I don't care because I am visiting here and even though I will scare all the birds away, I will be gone anyway.....

Have you ever met anyone who ID'd themselves as a buster? How did they rationalize it? It's gotta be one of the above (or more)
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:40 pm

sbeIICT wrote:Hope you werent the one who shot a couple of mergs in a main channel then didn't bother to retrieve. Looks like you got a couple mergs that Saturday morning, which is when I personally saw this crap. Same 2 guys shot at least 15 other shells at what I am guessing were more lawn darts. Hope it wasn't you that was set up blasting at every diver that flew the channels and then shot up every group of black / mallard that passed as close as 100 yards. :no:

You sure are a presumptuous little fella aren't ya sbellCT?

The three birds I shot on Saturday I retrieved and I was most certainly not the pricks skyblasting.

But keep using "i hope it wasn't..." in your posts chief - it makes you sound like a tough guy.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:55 pm

That pan reminds me of me and my other NY buddy hanging 'em off the side during a wiz break! :yes:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 pm

That water is coooold.....and deep.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 pm

sbeIICT wrote:Hope you werent the one who shot a couple of mergs in a main channel then didn't bother to retrieve. Looks like you got a couple mergs that Saturday morning, which is when I personally saw this crap. Same 2 guys shot at least 15 other shells at what I am guessing were more lawn darts. Hope it wasn't you that was set up blasting at every diver that flew the channels and then shot up every group of black / mallard that passed as close as 100 yards. :no:

Nice of you to check, but I don't hunt the main channel, never have, no need to. Only one shooter in my boat, and we picked up everything he shot.

Hope that clears that up for you.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Answer the Skybusting post.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Answer the Skybusting post.

I don't know. I work hard to get them in the decoys or low overhead before shooting.

Never met anyone that claimed to be a skybuster.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:40 pm

What am I explaining? I've never met a self proclaimed sky buster, but if I did I suspect they either wouldn't know any better or fall into every category you listed.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:20 pm

UGADawg wrote:

The three birds I shot on Saturday I retrieved and I was most certainly not the pricks skyblasting.

But keep using "i hope it wasn't..." in your posts chief - it makes you sound like a tough guy.

presumptuous? Yea actually, you posted two red breasted mergansers that you killed on saturday in wheeler. I only saw a few guys shooting mergansers. Good for you...I think.

So you create a post with a handful of ducks you killed and now you are the man around here?

Seem to recall you asking not long ago where the good areas to hunt were, or more accurately, if the places you listed were worth scouting even though you use Google Maps, arent a noob, and know what is ducky.

Dont understand, go back to UGA. Cant wait till you have your next "good" hunting week and post a play by play for 97 people to view.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

sbeIICT wrote:
UGADawg wrote:

presumptuous? Yea actually, you posted two red breasted mergansers that you killed on saturday in wheeler. I only saw a few guys shooting mergansers. Good for you...I think.

So you create a post with a handful of ducks you killed and now you are the man around here?

Seem to recall you asking not long ago where the good areas to hunt were, or more accurately, if the places you listed were worth scouting even though you use Google Maps, arent a noob, and know what is ducky.

Dont understand, go back to UGA. Cant wait till you have your next "good" hunting week and post a play by play for 97 people to view.

If a legal bird comes into my spread and its a good shot, I'm going to take it. I don't go out for mergs but I will shoot them - and they eat all my trout anyway so good riddance!

Not sure when I ever made the impression that "I was the man" or said I was a "duck commander". I'm merely posting my reports from the last week. If you don't like them - don't read them!

You seem butt-hurt about something or have some random vendetta. Take a pill - this is a report forum and that is what you are supposed to do, "post reports". I haven't limited out all season and I'm ok with that - this isn't a pissing contest tough guy.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Good Job on the birds! :thumbsup: Looked like it was a few "banner" days for here in CT.... I shot a Merg the other day. Did it for the dog :wink:
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Banded Bird » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Looks like a good couple of days. I personally enjoyed the run down from your week. Keep it up. I'll let you know how our day goes tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Banded Bird
Newb

Postby sbeIICT » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:55 pm

UGADawg wrote:
sbeIICT wrote:
UGADawg wrote:

If a legal bird comes into my spread and its a good shot, I'm going to take it. I don't go out for mergs but I will shoot them - and they eat all my trout anyway so good riddance!

Not sure when I ever made the impression that "I was the man" or said I was a "duck commander". I'm merely posting my reports from the last week. If you don't like them - don't read them!

You seem butt-hurt about something or have some random vendetta. Take a pill - this is a report forum and that is what you are supposed to do, "post reports". I haven't limited out all season and I'm ok with that - this isn't a pissing contest tough guy.

Do you eat the mergansers?

Duck Commander? what?

Report forum? again, what? You are posting locations, times, and pictures. Could care less about the pictures of your mergansers and geese but seriously go post your reports on the DU migration map.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:28 pm

slack, what are you pushiong at dude??

no one that has posted here has claimed to be taking those long shots, IN FACT they seem to have all COMPLAINED about OTHERS doing it they days they hunted.

it does sound like you are accusing the posters of skybusting...

as far as it goes...skybusting is relative.....to all the people that dont shoot past 35 yards.....thats fine, but they got no business calling EVERYONE that shoots further...a skybuster

killing ducks isnt skybusting....thats for sure...shooting a box of shells and taking home 2 ducks ..IS!!! even if its at 20 yards!!

thanks for the reports guys...

i dont know why SBE has his undies all bunched up..

we got to be carefull about accusations here.....unless you KNOW who it is..... you should be bringing it up.

shot a big lake in CT today..loaded with Common mergs( thousands).....we ended with a mixed bag of green heads....wide bills and skinny bills..... wish they were all wide bills.......and the fourth band of the season

I like the big drake common mergs..and poke a few each year...

to the salt from now on!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby labs1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Guys please answer this for me what is wrong with shooting megangers?
Thanks,
Ed
labs1
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:20 pm

There's nothing wrong with shooting mergs. The problem is most people don't eat them, and it becomes a personal ethics type of thing where one guy feels that you should only kill what you are going to eat....or other folks are targeting meat nearby and the merg shooting scares the puddlers off.

It pisses people off when someone shoots them and doesn't retrieve, or worse, they stuff them in the mud. This is to keep shooting past their limit. Unfortunately, it only takes a couple of bad apples...

I don't normally target mergs, but I will eat one some day. People told me some other ducks tasted bad, found out otherwise...I won't reveal the species because I prefer not to cause a run on the bank. Someone once told me he uses fish recipes for mergs and they come out OK.

The few merg specific hunts I was invited on was for the guy to keep his dog and gun skills sharp. I opted to take our mergs to the DEP so they could perform their tests on them, and the guy was happy to receive them. They do eat my trout and other fish, and if the population remains unchecked you could end up with a bad situation...kind of like coyotes...or crows...both of which happen to eat ducklings.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby wmmt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:58 am

Just a note about Mergs. They are listed by the Feds to have the highest level of PCB's,Mecury, and all that other crap. They do have a big impact on trout and salmon, but to kill to kill is kinda BS in my book. Honestly I feel eating them just harms your health but once met a hunter in RI with a big Merg spread he said they make grest jerky! Oh by the way he did not have a tooth in his mouth! Enjoy!
wmmt
hunter

Postby decoy241 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:22 am

Hey dawg great week, but why the need to broadcast where you go? You could just as easily leave out where you're hunting. I don't get it?????
decoy241
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:35 pm

toolmaker wrote:

slack, what are you pushiong at dude??

no one that has posted here has claimed to be taking those long shots, IN FACT they seem to have all COMPLAINED about OTHERS doing it they days they hunted.

it does sound like you are accusing the posters of skybusting...

as far as it goes...skybusting is relative.....to all the people that dont shoot past 35 yards.....thats fine, but they got no business calling EVERYONE that shoots further...a skybuster

killing ducks isnt skybusting....thats for sure...shooting a box of shells and taking home 2 ducks ..IS!!! even if its at 20 yards!!

thanks for the reports guys...

i dont know why SBE has his undies all bunched up..

we got to be carefull about accusations here.....unless you KNOW who it is..... you should be bringing it up.

shot a big lake in CT today..loaded with Common mergs( thousands).....we ended with a mixed bag of green heads....wide bills and skinny bills..... wish they were all wide bills.......and the fourth band of the season

I like the big drake common mergs..and poke a few each year...

to the salt from now on!!

the tool

No way at all, I absolutely did not mean that. I went back and reread it.
It sounds like these guys are plagued by SB's like we are and I just wanted to commiserate. I really am curious what goes through the minds of guys that bust hard.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm

decoy241 wrote:Hey dawg great week, but why the need to broadcast where you go? You could just as easily leave out where you're hunting. I don't get it?????

exactly decoy241, thats what im saying as well.

but in his defense, this is a "report" forum or whatever he said.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 pm

i have no problem shooting mergs. it hones in your shooting skills ten fold! they kill a tons of fish! and my buddy works with a guy that will eat anything. my buddy and i got a 12 bird limit a couple weeks ago. every bird was a merg. we had a blast! and im not afraid to admit it. i dont eat any ducks i shoot. i give them all away puddlers, divers, sea ducks, and fish ducks. they all go to use and are perfectly legal. if they would let you shoot cormarnts and seagulls i would gladly shoot them too. to many of anything is detrimental. they need to be kept in check.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm

captmike69 wrote:i dont eat any ducks i shoot.

BLASPHEMY!!! :tongue: IDK why, they're sooo delicious!
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Next

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting