Last Day of the South Zone

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Last Day of the South Zone

Postby UGADawg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 am

Saturday was an interesting day from the start. Woke up at 3:30, ready to get rolling. I had my boat trailer worked on this past week and thought everything was good to go. After pulling out of the driveway at 4, I didn't get 100 yards down the road until I heard a wop wop wop wop - flat tire. Got the boat back to the house, unhooked the trailer and popped the kayak on the roof rack. Finally got to the put in around 4:50. The wind was 'a rippin, 15-20 mph. Woodynwc and I decided not to paddle and opted to walk in to another local marsh. We got set up by 6 and by 7:15 we each got a black duck and popped one drake hooded merg. We picked up and walked another 1/2 into the marsh. Set up again in a very exposed location, shot another merg that we unfortunately lost in the marsh. We picked up and got out of that spot around 9:30, got to the car and did a little driving to see if we could find any birds. Around 11 we found them at another walk in spot. We snuck in hand and knees, got to within 40 yards and waited for the right moment to jump em. On the countdown we got up and each targeted a gadwall drake and each got our bird. Hung around for another hour and a half or so and had gadwall pair come in. Woody was at the opposite end of the marsh and didn't get a shot but I was able to call the birds close into range and popped the drake out of the group.

All in all a good day to end the season, but we sure did have to work for it.

d1a.jpg
UGADawg
hunter

Re: Last Day of the South Zone

Postby O2Fsh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am

Sounds like a great end to a season. Did you see the sunset from the marsh? All of our shooting was finished by 11 am. We stayed until the end... with little to show from the afternoon.

Ended with 3 geese and 3 ducks... including a gadwall.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby falcon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 am

Good effort to get a few birds!! We went down bright and early for some late season sea ducks but the wind and waves where too much for my boat. We ended up trying an island in the bay that I had no idea how it would be and it pretty much sucked as no birds came any where near us. How ever I did witness an area across the bay where they were working a little so next time the wind is blowing out of the west I'll know where to go. Never even uncased the gun. Unfortunately I spend all my time this year chasing mallards in the north zone and this was my first and last sea duck hunt of the year. Next year.
falcon
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Way to hit them. Sounds like a real fun time.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 am

O2Fsh wrote:Sounds like a great end to a season. Did you see the sunset from the marsh? All of our shooting was finished by 11 am. We stayed until the end... with little to show from the afternoon.

Ended with 3 geese and 3 ducks... including a gadwall.

O2Fsh

Didn't see it from the marsh but saw it from the water in Norwalk - it was stunning. The sunrise Saturday was pretty good as well.
We didn't see a ton of movement later in the day - we were done shooting by 2:30.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:18 pm

i skipped the CT last day.....spent friday night taking the GF out... and slept in sat am.then did some chores at h rplace and went out in the afternoon for pheasants at my club. Took the gf's austrailian sheppard along with my 2 labs....it all went nice.

i found the golden eyes on thursday, but wasnt up for going at them again sat.

usually it is pretty crowded the last day..and those birds are skittish...so all the guys in the town shooting would just keep the birds pretty nervous

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting