new to ct

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

new to ct

Postby duckmen24 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm moving to Groton ct in may. Not to happy about it but will make due. I'm a duck freak. I'm moving from Virginia beach. The duck hunting is not great hoping all is better in ct. So what I'm trying to find out is the duck hunting good bad or great.. I'm originally from Brighton Tennessee right on the Mississippi flyway. So if anyone has any recommendations please let me know. And if anyone is looking for a new hunting partner I'm in. I can call good, ducks and geese and have a 10 month old chocolate lab that will blow your mind in the field. Has about 50 retrieves under his belt .
duckmen24
hunter

Re: new to ct

Postby sbeIICT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 am

youll be disappointed by the ducks. Geese can be good if you find a good field or get lucky in the marsh, but nothing like youre used to.

Id recommend taking up another hobby. Puzzles are my go-to. Nothing like getting skunked and going home to a big 1100 piece puzzle all afternoon!!!
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 am

Puddler hunting is not going to be what your use to in the past, not much prime area around and you will need a boat to get to it.
On the bright side, seaduck hunting is very good in the western section of the state or RI.
Last edited by Major Woods on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby duckmen24 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Come on now got to be OK its up north figured it be OK. And I got skunked plenty of times in Virginia. Worked my but off to just get to a spot just to watch the sun come up.. but it seems to be a lot of areas to hunt ducks.. got to be able to get on some green heads..
duckmen24
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:05 pm

The past 2 seasons were crap! Scouting is key! As with anywhere you go.... Find the places that are legal to hunt that no other hunters can get to or want to go to. Less hunters, more ducks. Not a lot of duck hunters up here, but space is limited due to the burgeoning leftist demographic of the state so the hunting is tight usually, opening day can be a circus. Being in Groton you have a great opportunity for sea ducks and divers. Not my cup of tea though. Seasons a reasonable length and zones are "understandable".
No dove season up here though :no:
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 am

You poor soul :sad: ...

Who did you pi%% off to get sent up here?

Anyways, :welcome: and you will find folks here and there to help you make the best of it. As others have posted, good spots are hard to find, and secret spots usually come with a blood contract (DON'T PASS IT UP!). Scouting every year during the off season is the key to a decent season, unless you happen to get lucky. I'm in the southeast corner of the state about 30 min from Groton and there is some decent areas along the coast and up the rivers.

The main game up here is deer, which get numerous due to all the non-huntable areas (neighborhoods, etc). I took up duck hunting because I prefer hunting wild birds (as opposed to stocked pheasants). Ruffed Grouse are scarce, and you're only allowed 3 Woodcock, so duck hunting became my 2nd best friend...but it can be pretty challenging at times. Due to work (and the subsequent lack of time to scout), my past few seasons are nothing short of embarassing.

If you hook up with some people for goose, you can have some wonderful days in Connecticut. RI does have a Dove season and you can hunt Sundays there...some people I know do a "Sunday Seaducks" trip to RI and have a blast.

I'll be interested in hearing how you like (or dislike) hunting up north versus your previous homes...I'm hoping it's a "grass is always greener" type of thing...no doubt there are some greenheads here, and plenty of swamps.

Good luck, hope you do well!
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby JimG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:41 pm

Do you golf?

:welcome:
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby duckmen24 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Thinks guys . I do not golf. I play baseball. And i have never hunted for sea ducks or divers. I'm a green head man. But a ducks a duck I guess. But I will hunt every public spot I can find. I already have a few spots mapped out and can't wait to get the dog out to try the new area. He was my only hunting partner last year and did great. Retrieved every duck I killed. But anyways can't wait for the cold winters.
duckmen24
hunter

Postby NortherPride » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 am

Depends who you ask but the last 3 seasons have been good to great for my crew, just gotta get out and scout and obtain some prime private land, :welcome:
NortherPride
hunter

Postby JimG » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 am

Hey Duckmen,

Don't forget to sell your non-compliant AR's and AK's before moving here..... they are evil and have no place in CT.
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:07 pm

duckmen24 wrote:But a ducks a duck I guess.

Theres always Mergansers...

I disagree, sea ducks are much different than a puddle duck. I rarely shoot one because i dont like the way they taste. I know you can cook them to mask the taste, but too much work for me.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:35 am

there are hundreds of guys who knock the crap out of mallards and woodies in the state of ct. most probably don't post, so you might not hear about it. there are still hundreds of streams and private ponds and lakes that are holding a ton of puddlers. Sure it is tough to get into a spot that someone else hasn't already got permission for.... those guys that work hard at finding spots, have them....you only need a half dozen spots to carry you through the season...and once the cold late season comes you have the whole shoreline to pick away at.......It good to have you on the site, but to be frank, don't expect to aquire places to hunt via duck hunting chat!!!.................I don't mean that in a mean way....its just that info doesn't get posted here....but CT has a lot to offer!!!! two zones that stretch the season out, and some diversity.........the big rivers are a place to pick away at....

good luck...you stationed at the sub base?

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 am

^--- agreed!

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting