When Does Duck Season Start? Hot Spots? Boat Motor Hp?

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

When Does Duck Season Start? Hot Spots? Boat Motor Hp?

Postby New2thegame » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:33 pm

Hey Everyone,

New2thegame haha thats right!

Anyways When does duck season start here in CT?

Where are peoples favorite spots in CT?

I want to buy a boat but I don't know how much HP is needed for it. I am looking at this 14ft. aluminum. I was thinking like a 5hp or less. What do you think? Post some replies!!!! Thanks Guys and Girls!!!!! Peace-Drew
New2thegame
hunter

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:34 pm

9.5hp for a boat that size. You could make do with a 5hp motor but if your like me, you'll be breakin some ice to get to them ducks. The more power the better.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but thats just an ol' Swamp Yankees advise.

Good luck.
It's not my fault I'm at the top of the foodchain.
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby brampus » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 pm

new2thegame,

I see that you live in middletown, if you plan on hunting the CT river
you might want to put the biggest motor on the back of your boat that you can get your hands on. I've got a 50hp on the back of my 16' aluminum boat. I had a 15hp on the back years ago when I first got the boat (read it's all I could afford) trust me more is better. :yes:
brampus
hunter

thanks

Postby New2thegame » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:58 pm

Yeah,

I decided not to purchase this boat it was going to cost me too much money. Out board motors that size cost more than $1000 and I can't empty my pockets for that right now.

Would you possibly be interested in showing me the ropes and some of the hot spots in CT? I will pretty much be bymyself because I don't know any other hunters and my friends are lazy. It would be cool if you could take me out one day. Thanks-Drew
New2thegame
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:28 am

Welcome New... First off, you are centrally located and near alot of water in Middletown (I grew up in Wethersfield). Second, because you are on a 'budget', you may wish to consider a canoe or maybe a square stern with a 40lb electric to get around......beleive me, there are ALOT of coves and sheltered areas on the River perfect for using a canoe safely and that includes many creeks in salt marshes at the shore. Just be careful when crossing any large open areas and use common sense. Not that I disagree with the need for real power and a broad beam, just that with caution, a canoe will open up a number of opportunities you will miss being on foot. Getting to a good location is one thing, being able to set dekes and collect downed birds brings out a must-have situation for a boat!

PM me later this week and I can send you in the right direction for some safe hunts out of a canoe close to home.

D-
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodsman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:15 pm

I have a canoe only and I do alright. It is alot of excersize so it pays to be in shape. If you get one you can lift by yourself you can hunt alone. I have had times where the wind blew me no matter how hard I paddled but most of the time it is great. Just can't do long distances so find places where you can put in close to where you want to set up. I love being able to quietly slip in to an area. Sometimes the ducks don't even leave where as in a boat they all take off and you have to wait for new ones. I have paddled thru thin ice on several occasions. Any thicker and a 14' aluminum would have trouble too. A canoe is great in shallow marshes and its fun to jump ducks after the morning flight is over. I will admit though I'm thinking of adding a trolling motor to it and if I had the money I'd buy a duck boat in a second.

To find spots go online to the DEP website and download maps. Talk to people in your local gunshop and maybe they'll share.

One more thing about canoes. They are boats and are under certain regulations. After October 1st you have to wear your life jacket. You must have a light and a horn or cell phone to call for help.

Good luck
Woodsman
hunter

Boat regulations

Postby New2thegame » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 pm

HEy,

I ended up buying that boat i was talking about. Hey woodsman where can I read up on those boat regulations? I was thinking about putting the red/green lights on front and the white light rod on the back like other boats i've been on. They are fairly inexpensive as well especially on Ebay. Let me know because I would hate to get out there and have a dep office give me a ticket.

Check out these pics of the boat. I haven't taken any pics yet so these are the guy who I bought it from pics........

I am going to put alot of work into it to make it more duck hunt ready. I think I am going to build rails for a blind and better camo paint it. Thanks for all your help!!!!
New2thegame
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:34 am

Make sure that you do put the lights on.
I almost ran over 3 guys in a 16' boat last January in the dark. There were in the middle of the CT River channel at WOT running North. Only way I knew they were there is I hit their wake before them and slowed down and turned the spotlight on them.
Almost made them into popsickles.

Boaters World, West Marine and Walmart have the clamp on lights if needed.
Good luck this year :thumbsup:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:49 pm

I got my boklet when I took the boaters safety course and got my license. If you didn't do that make sure you do. The book is small and has the regs you need to know. You are on thew right track with the lights. The boat looks great
Woodsman
hunter

boat

Postby New2thegame » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:00 pm

Hey,

Yeah I took my boating coarse this year in march and passed. The instructor never wentover any regulations like that though. I think I did get the little book though so I have to look around. Did you mean we just need "Navigation Lights" green/red on the bow and or the white Running light on the stern? Thanks-Drew
New2thegame
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 am

You will need all 3 lights red, green and the stern light to run at night.
When anchored at night only the white light needs to be illuminated.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:57 am

it certainly is good to know about running lights....and of course I always use them myself ....but we are a minority when it comes to duck hunters!

Always have that search light panning ahead!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:53 am

A trolling motor will work fine for you.. tharts what i started off with and like Dukhtr said there are many places you can get with it.
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Hot Spots and Dressing!

Postby New2thegame » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:22 pm

Has anyone ever launched into the CT River from Middletown before? I don't know where the launch is really and I also dont know where to look for the set up spots. Do I just have to go scout it out one day this week before I actually go for the hunt? Can you lead me in a general direction.

Also,

What kind of knives do you use for dressing? I want to purchase one or a set but I dont know what to invest in.......Also can you inform me with your methods on dressing. Thanks-Drew
New2thegame
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:55 am

If you can't get someone to go with you who knows the area your going to have to scout it out. Not a bad way to spend the morning, also check out the CT DEP book for known waterfowl areas in your section of the state.

Just about anywhere I have been on the CT river I have splashed ducks, even when I could not scout the area out prior.

I use this knife, http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... l?s=REM565

Good luck :thumbsup:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

CT River

Postby New2thegame » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Well, That looks like a good knife. Thanks

I just haven't traveled up the river yet and I am concerned about the 250 feet rule from shore. There are alot of business's on the ct river near middletown. I was just wondering if I should travel south towards the sound or north towards hartford. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Thanks-Drew
New2thegame
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:59 pm

I would be concerned about where the tidal zone ends. if I'm not in the salt I hunt 500' away. i also have a laser range finder for those gray areas, it has conme in handy more than once with the DEP visiting my boat.

North of the Rocky Hill launch is very good all the way to Hartford. I also like Great Island, Ragged Rock, Selden and Nott Island.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

hot spots

Postby New2thegame » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:29 pm

What do you mean if you aren't in the "salt" (Ocean)? Can you upload some pics of your boat? I would be interested to see what you are working with. I bought that remington knife by the way looks sweet. I also just spend $200 on cabelas on stuff for the boat.

Those range finders are not that cheap either dang.....

how many decoys are in your spread?
What species do you have? Just mallard or what?
New2thegame
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:35 am

I run a G3 model 2072 w/90hp motor.
"Salt", salt water tidal area. I'm not sure where the DEP officer is going to say the tidal area ends and it's the 500' instead of 250' for tidal areas. I know a while back the break point was the first upstream bridge, but I can't find that listed in the CT DEP download anylonger (unless I missed it).

I hunt puddlers, divers and seaducks and have the decoys for each.
Decoys range from 4-100 depending where I am, and what I'm after.

Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting