G3 transom replacement

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

G3 transom replacement

Postby Major Woods » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:32 am

I have a year 2005, G3 Model #2072 aluminum Gator Tough Jon boat with a Yamaha 90hp motor. The boat had a 5 year warranty when I purchased it new.

Found 6 holes in the transom caused by corrosion coming from the inside out last fall. At that time I e-mailed (with pictures) G3 customer service about purchasing a transom assembly from them that I could weld onto the boat myself after cutting off the original.

Kim Roecker from G3 replied a couple days later and stated that G3 would replace the transom under “warranty at no cost to me” even with the boat being out of the original warranty time period. Since it was close to the 2012 duck hunting season and I wanted to use the boat we agreed on April 2013 for the repairs. Estimated time for repairs was 3 months.
Dropped off the boat at my local dealer the first week in April 2013 where a flatbed was waiting to take it to Missouri for the work.

This is where things started to go sideways:
Got a call from the owner of the boat dealership last week who told me that my boat was back from G3 and I was all set to take it home. Arrived at the dealer last Saturday and was told by the Service Manager that there was a bill of $330.00 to put my boat on & off the flatbed to Missouri.
I told him (as he already knew) the work was being done under warranty from G3 and had an assurance from Kim that it was a no cost to the owner deal. He said he knew that but wanted to use my boat as leverage since G3 was not approving all service claims from the dealers lately and this would assure that they would get the labor cost from G3.
I very calmly told Mr. Service Manager that was not acceptable and please get the owner on the phone. Owner was not happy to be speaking to me as I told him I was not giving him any money but would contact G3 myself on Monday and discuss the 330.00 bill with Kim Roecker, at this point he said take the boat no charge.

Final outcome:
Boat looks great with a new transom; G3 also replaced the Yamaha throttle control box assembly and battery cables which was a nice bonus. Now I just have to camo paint, attach swim ladder and add all the extra hardware to the back again.

Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Re: G3 transom replacement

Postby Citori16 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:36 am

That is great to know, I have a 2006 G3 Outfitter. I'll be re-checking my transom. Were the holes very noticeable or did you have to really look hard?

Let me guess, the dealer is located central southern CT? If so, I have not been extremely pleased with them either.

Noticed you have a canopy over your boat. Been dying to pull the trigger on one myself but wasn't sure how it would fare in the wind, etc, (I'm on a hill). Have you had any problems with it?
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 am

The holes started out as white fuzzy spots and grew quickly from the inside out over a couple months.
Reynolds Marine dropped the G3 boat line late last year so I had to deal with Inland Marine in RI which is my closest authorized G3 dealer.
Lost the canopy once in a wind storm (60mph) years ago, anything less than 40mph it's good. I take the tarp off during hurricanes now and have not had an issue in 8 years.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Seacoot » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Major is your transom wood sandwiched or all aluminum?If wood did they replace it with an all aluminum transom?
Seacoot
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:51 am

Was sandwiched wood now all aluminum.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:37 am

Well, you weren't kidding about fast...checked a day or 2 after I first posted no sign. Checked yesterday and found 2 spots of paint blistered off and what looks to be a small hole. :eek:

Timely post, will have to figure out what to do for fishing season now...
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:49 am

Sorry to hear that, let us know how the fix goes.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Major Woods
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting