North Farms

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

North Farms

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Some say yes some say no, can anyone give me a definitive answer on whether you can duck hunt here or not? :huh:
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Re: North Farms

Postby Ct Lab » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:13 pm

The short answer is yes but it is usually overshot and crowded.I live on the other side of Wallingford but haven't bothered to hunt it for at least ten years.
Ct Lab
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Whaaaaaaaaaaat Theeeeeeee Fuuuuuuhhhhh guys?!!!???!!!!!
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 pm

North Farms is interesting specific to a real diversity of bird species that use it. I have seen BW and GW Teal, Coot, Widgeon , Mallards, Black Ducks, Woodies, Pintail, Gadwall, Canada and Snow Geese on those waters. As well, one often sees Mute Swans there (the State should grow some nuts and open a swan season to reduce their numbers, as they are detrimental to native waterfowl species).

Gunning North Farms is tough! Most of the huntable shoreline is privately owned. The island is also approximately 1/2 privately owned, the boundary cutting through in a NW to SE diagonal, the northern most 1/2 being that owned by the state. Also being relatively small in total surface area, space for multiple parties is limited. Just on party of idiots / sky busters will ruin it for anyone trying to decoy birds.

I have never bothered hunting it for all of the above reasons. Too much potential for frustration and an overall negative experience. JMHO.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby JimG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:41 am

IW....... ***?

Bad bad

Best way to ruin a spot is to talk about it on the internet. Is this the first time you've participated in a hunting forum website? You've just torqued a whole bunch of guys here
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:32 am

Didn't make this thread to get people aggravated and blow up their spot, research turned up nothing and DEP never answered my email. I've only been waterfowling in CT for two seasons and was just looking for a simple yes or no. I can put the time in scouting I don't need info on exact spots to set up.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:54 am

JimG wrote:IW....... ***?

Bad bad

Best way to ruin a spot is to talk about it on the internet. Is this the first time you've participated in a hunting forum website? You've just torqued a whole bunch of guys here

Jim,
Far from the first time I have ever participated in a hunting website. I have over 43 years experience hunting, the far majority of that focused on waterfowling as a passion. Fact of the matter, you and I know each other quite well.

I stand by my post in that I informed Bonzai and others that might be interested in waterfowling on North Farms, that it is indeed legal to hunt it. I was also far from encouraging that anyone bother doing so as is clearly implied by the context of my post. I did not tell him exactly where and when to set up. as for my description of the private lands proximal to the waters of North Farms, I did so for the benefit of those that do hunt there, so that they might avoid any legal ramifications.

Public land is just that, PUBLIC. Any waterfowler with any degree of intelligence, can figure out a place like North Farms
Reservoir very quickly. I for one never momentarily thought of it as being worth the potential hassles, and most often opted for other more productive public waters.

I have participated in a number of other hunting related websites and I understand the territoriality that we all exhibit with regard to our favorite hunting spots (myself included). NOT looking to "torque off" other members. AGAIN, gave some general advice about a PUBLIC venue in order to aid Bonzai (my writings no reflection on him personally), and to others that might choose to hunt there. If I was a "newbie" looking for places to hunt, I would completely avoid North Farms Reservoir after reading my post.

As for "waterfowling street cred", don't be fooled by the low number of posts I have specific to this site, and my participation on other sites have always been under a completely different username.

Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby AllBusiness » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:13 am

Irishwhistler wrote:Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler

Ausi or Kiwi? :tongue:
Welcome :beer:
AllBusiness
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 am

AllBusiness wrote:
Irishwhistler wrote:Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler

Ausi or Kiwi? :tongue:
Welcome :beer:

AB,
Neither Lad. KERRY by ancestry. And thanks for the welcome. :beer:

Slainte,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:20 am

Awesome success right by the boat launch!

IrishWhistler, welcome to the site. I dont think you necessarily did anything wrong but thats a pretty small place to be giving out info on.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:19 am

sbeIICT wrote:Awesome success right by the boat launch!

IrishWhistler, welcome to the site. I dont think you necessarily did anything wrong but thats a pretty small place to be giving out info on.

SbeIICT,

So what's ye point? Got something to throw at me, then let me have it, no need to tread lightly.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting