I am not having any luck.

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

I am not having any luck.

Postby New2thegame » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:40 pm

soooo,

I have gone out pheasant hunting 3 times and I only saw one guy get something and I didn't even see any. I went duck hunting on saturday morning and i had some trouble because I was alone and I had to launch my boat in an area with no ramp. I had to drop the boat down a small enbankment and then push it back up when I was done.

So I got there at 5:00 and got the boat in the water. I looked for a decent spot where I could dock the boat on the shore and walk in with my waders. I pull out my decoys and they are all tangled and tied up together. I was pissed! I finally got a few apart after about 30 mins of messing with them. So out of the 20 that I brought there were 8 on the water. 4 stayed together and the other 4 floated away when the wind picked up. I didn't see much of anything except for this retarded swan that flew by with a flock and landed single. I saw a couple of single ducks but they never got close enough for a clean shot. I was calling on both calls. I have a primos original wench and phat lady. I need some suggestions. I want a kill really bad and it is kind of depressing leaving with nothing to show. WHAT AM I NOT DOING? HOW DO I LOCATE MORE WATERFOWL? Thanks-Drew
New2thegame
hunter

Buddy wanted!!!

Postby New2thegame » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:42 pm

I need a hunting buddy! If you are interested in showing a newbie the ropes I would appreciate it. I am 21yrs old and I reside in Middletown,CT I would love the experience of a good days hunt. Please help me out. Contact me via e-mail- Drewscheff@Yahoo.com Thanks-Drew
New2thegame
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:53 am

Hey Drew....I gave you DETAILED information on some excellent locations...including ramp info........I was sincere and honest....so use it.....as for the tangles, you need to be prepared before you go out in the dark.....and make sure you have enough line scope with ample weight to keep the decoys in place....not trying to nag, I am sure you were aware of that stuff

unfortunately I have plans for this week...will be down to CT on Wed night and staying through Sat.......geese in the mornings and ducks in the afternoons

if by chance I can work you in....pm me your cell #

D-
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:03 pm

I also gave you location info :yes:

Learn from your mistakes:
Prep your gear before the hunt.
More deek weight is needed.
Allow more time to set up.

I went hunting many days before I was able to score a duck. In the process I learned a lot and made a huge amount of mistakes including going overboard in late December and swimming to shore. Even not shooting at anything all day I can still have a great time on the water just watchinh nature.

If I have an open seat in the future I'll try and get ahold of you. Good luck and keep at it.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:16 pm

Drew....I can't agree more with the Major......he brings back some memories for sure....some positive and definitely a few negative.......I got into duck hunting as a pastime to pheasants.....once I was hooked I was alone alot more than with others because they were always pheasant hunting...........and I definitely had issues with tangles......a heavy load only a 22 yo can handle........poor quality clothing because I didn't have the extra cash or at least wouldn't part with it......only a handful og decoys....the list goes on (at least I never went overboard though!)....eventually I learned my way around (much the same as I did with the trout streams)......since you can't hunt on Sunday get out in the boat and find/determine where you'll be next time out, that makes setting up so much easier in the dark....you'll see if there are birds around etc.

Just keep at it!!! Don't give in.....you will win some battles and lose a couple here-n-there, but you will also win the war.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:19 pm

i agree with both of you.. everyone makes mistakes and needs to learn from them. dont give up and you'll get the hang of it in not time
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby on duck call » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:28 pm

Being organized and give yourself time to set up you'll have more luck and a better time. The more you put in to it the more you will get out of it. Concealment is everything(face).
on duck call
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting