Jump shooting

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Jump shooting

Postby MattAtkins » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi all, new to the site and duck hunting.
been out 3 times so far, havent fired a shoot, though ive at least seen a bunch of mallards. Paddled 10 miles today at mansfield hollow.
Any tips on solo jumpshooting?
ive been resting the gun in my lap when i get close and try to paddle or drift closer.
MattAtkins
Newb

Re: Jump shooting

Postby duckstruck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Its been a few years since I've hunted in this manner.

What type of craft are you paddling? Canoe, kyack, duckboat.

We used to go to an area that held birds. We would put some camo and branches on the boat. If we were inland we would place a couple of decoys on the bow to look like birds floating on some crap drifting down the river. For at the shore we would do the same with either decoys or a sea gull confidence decoy. It worked pretty good.

Make sure you are carful not to bang your oars or paddle of the gunnel and make sure your face is covered as you approach the birds.

Hope this helps hopefully someone will chime in to help you out.
duckstruck
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 am

I think duckstruck's technique sounds great. You may want to use some pontoons if you are in a canoe by yourself.

When I use the canoe, I am typically either trading fore and aft with someone and the front guy shoots...or I am canoeing to a blind or other location that the big boat or my waders can't get me to.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 pm

I tried a camo covered kayak for the first time last year. I found it challenging to say the least. I did get a few jump shooting on a large pond , the ducks were very skittish and flushed usually far too far away, many times fleeing on just the sound of the paddle entering and leaving the water, even when i thought I was quiet. Plus they have to flush in the right direction and elevation to get a safe shot without risking the big tip over. Still I'll do it this year as it was real hunting , like stalking deer . Just don't expect a lot of success. The ducks on the bow is a good idea, I'd try that too.
Last edited by golferboy426 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golferboy426
hunter

Postby Joe Two Dogs » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:01 pm

I am a big fan of jump shooting. Two basic methods: 1) From a small boat or 2) On foot/crawling. The key is to stay concealed and quiet until the last second. Canoeing silently around corners of marshes or small rivers gets you close to flushing ducks. Best is for buddies to switch between bow and stern, with one paddling and the other holding gun ready. The crawling method takes time and patience if done right.
Joe Two Dogs
Newb

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting