Great Morning Hunt

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Great Morning Hunt

Postby Broadhead » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 am

Got up early and headed out. It was very foggy so I had a good feeling. Right at legal shooting time I had a drake and hen mallard fly into my set. I locked on the drake as they flew in and let it rip. I somehow managed to get both the drake and the hen with one shot. That is a first for me. I was tight on the drake as it started to land and the hen must have caught up with him. I knew then it was going to be a good morning. After that I took a GWT and then two more mallards (drakes) I had about 6 more mallards I could have taken if I was not at my limit. I waited until about 8:15 and didn't see anything but mallards so I called it a day. I'll take five birds on four shots any day. My wife (always so supportive) said that the hen died of a heart attack because it was so surprised that I hit the drake.
Broadhead
hunter

Re: Great Morning Hunt

Postby GuitarPlayer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Wow! We only managed a pair of mallards this morning. A young-of-the-year drake mallard swam in and tried to swim out... Went to shoot next to him to make him jump and he got fringed :oops: :oops: :oops: then another mallard started working the decoys as my dad started to move the boat (we were still on the bank). He cut the motor and she circled again and pitched and either my brother or I dropped her
GuitarPlayer
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Broadhead wrote: My wife (always so supportive) said that the hen died of a heart attack because it was so surprised that I hit the drake.

:lol:

I would take all the crap given and then some for a two-fer....nice job!
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby Broadhead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Citori16 wrote:
Broadhead wrote: My wife (always so supportive) said that the hen died of a heart attack because it was so surprised that I hit the drake.

:lol:

I would take all the crap given and then some for a two-fer....nice job!

Amen!
Broadhead
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting