GOOD HUNT, GOOD FRIENDS, GREAT PUP

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

GOOD HUNT, GOOD FRIENDS, GREAT PUP

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Aye Lads,
Grand day afield. Five guns limited by 07:11. Me wee pup Trad's "first honker hunt". In actuality, pre-hunt and post-hunt. Trad got to run about the decoys and gear as we set the rig, and to explore the blind. He was put up in his crate in a vehicle away from the immediate reports of gunfire, at 11 weeks of age he is not near conditioned to the gun yet, however shows no aversion at a distance. Slow and progressive exposure being the way to assure conditioning to gunfire, he'll get there with little worry. He was taken back to the scene after all shooting had ceased and got to spend some quality times with me gunning mates as we picked up the spread. Lots of opportunity to socialize with me gunning partners. :grooving:

Four of our birds were banded. Bling bling originating in Labrador. :smile: Sucked two nice groups into and over the KZ, and the party was over. Trad got his first wiff of honker scent, and an up close and personal view of the geese as he climbed over the pile of the big birds. Lot's of praise and making the whole experience fun for the little lad, he's on the journey to gundog greatness. Nothing like early exposure training and watching the making of a gundog! :thumbsup:

Cheers Mate's, :beer:
Irishwhistler / aka Dad O' Trad
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Re: GOOD HUNT, GOOD FRIENDS, GREAT PUP

Postby Citori16 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 am

Way to go! Nice to hear someone who understands how to avoid gun shyness in dogs!
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Re: GOOD HUNT, GOOD FRIENDS, GREAT PUP

Postby Irishwhistler » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Citori16 wrote:Way to go! Nice to hear someone who understands how to avoid gun shyness in dogs!

Citori,
Thqnks me lad, t"is not me first rodeo. :lol3:

Cheers Mate, :beer:
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting