Saturday Morning With Virgil

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Saturday Morning With Virgil

Postby UGADawg » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:18 pm

My buddy Tim brought his 8 month old lab pup Virgil on our hunt this morning. It is been great seeing the dog's evolution and growth over the past 3 months - he has really come into his own. We hunted a spot on state land and had plenty of birds moving early. Unfortunately there was a group not far off sky busting bad...I mean bad. It put a damper on some of the early hunting but they thankfully called it quits by 7:30. We stuck around until 10:30 and scratched off 4 birds - 3 drake mallards and a gadwall (still unsure if its a drake or a hen). Virgil retrieved all 4 birds. Still learning but he's got a hell of a will to retrieve, he loves the gun and has a great nose. Should be a stud next year.

BLAKE3-2s.jpg

BLAKE3-4s.jpg

BLAKE3-5s.jpg
UGADawg
hunter

Re: Saturday Morning With Virgil

Postby captmike69 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Nice dog and bag. Wish I had gone duck hunting today instead of squirrel watching. That's a hen gaddy by the way.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby MFoley1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:41 am

Virgil is a great looking dog. Do you know if he came from a local breeder?
MFoley1956
Newb

Postby UGADawg » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 am

I believe Tim got him from a breeder in Maine - very good bloodline from what I remember. If you'de like, I can find out some more info?
UGADawg
hunter

Postby MFoley1956 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks, but I'd rather stay closer to home. My dog came from Maritime Labs in Killingly and I'll probably stick with them for my next.
Attachments
Woodcock2.JPG
MFoley1956
Newb

Postby Hooks67 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:47 am

Virgil comes from Puddle Duck retrievers in Maine. I looked into Labrador Retrievers from Maritime and thought they were more built for family/show dogs. Very chunky show breed. I wanted an athletic field sized dog with the English Labrador qualities. I had a deposit down for quite some time waiting for him. He is petite 8 months old and 52 pounds. Introduced him to live pigeons at a very young age as well as the .22 blank pistol. I hope to get some video footage of him under action this season.
Hooks67
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting