tons of birds but suckin wind

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

tons of birds but suckin wind

Postby cobra bait » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:50 am

its been the best but the worst season ever for me so far. i cant hit the broad side of a barn. just moved back last year to were i grew up and went from hunting all back water mattabassett to main river. had my 3rd kid last year and only hunted 4 days but was successful two trips. this year, hunting 3-5 times a week and have missed everything just about. i wounded one and it dove and my dog lost her mark and it was to far out main river. have had birds drop in the dekes and over heads but just havent been able to connect. went pheasant the other day and went 1 for 4. i cant figure it out i must be shouldering bad or something. anyways good to get out as much as i have been and seeing the amount of birds. not to mention a larger variety of birds now other than woodies and mallards. every day has been a different situation for me and no sense in patterning anything just taking mental notes and adapting. it will come together real soon i think or hope. sure beats work! chester must have been on fire this morning sounded like a freakin war to the south.
cobra bait
hunter

Re: tons of birds but suckin wind

Postby Citori16 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:07 am

Have you patterned your gun lately?
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby cobra bait » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:45 pm

no i havent, i prob should? i am not being big headed at all in any way, but i never had this much trouble hitting anything, i normally am right on and can double break clays sometimes when skeet shooting. something is just totally off this year. any advice will be appreciated!
cobra bait
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Are you shooting the same gun as always or a new one?
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:33 pm

shoot at a patterning board at 10 yards , maybe 5 times with clean paper each time...mount quick and fire,....dont adjust..make it just like hunting./..also pattern the gun at 40 yards with full choke aiming careful like turkey hunting...

those two steps( and they are SEPERATE steps!!) will get you on your way to finding the issue....

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby cobra bait » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:57 am

same gun i have shot for 5 years. i will have to pattern it like you said. only other thought i have had is i have a different jacket i am hunting with this year and waders and i think i may be off on my mount when i bring the gun it. its a bit more cumbersome jacket.
cobra bait
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:48 pm

if your face isnt on the stock...all bets are off

i would bet it is your new jacket

do the 10 yard test with your new jacket on..and all the same layers... and dont be mechanical...be just like hunting

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:11 pm

toolmaker wrote:
do the 10 yard test with your new jacket on..and all the same layers... and dont be mechanical...be just like hunting

X2
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:14 pm

jacket thickness might have changed your LOP (length of pull) which could significantly change your mount / accuracy. You can sometimes make quick adjustments to vary LOP on some shotguns with adjustable recoil pads / LOP.

Also, heed the suggestions regarding patterning the shotgun, and also consider seeing your eye doctor for an exam and any changes that may have taken place.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby cut'emalljack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:26 pm

There is always the argument also that different shells/shot type will pattern differently with different chokes. Different type of shell this year than in the past? When your doing the "tool test" (good advice by the way), you may want to see how different types of shells pattern with different chokes. It can be expensive, but well worth your time.
Cut'em
"Spot burning is for novice duck hunters, cyber scouters and pot-stirrers"

Proud member of Team FYG NEWTON
cut'emalljack
hunter

Postby cobra bait » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 pm

from the hunt today i saw my pattern is pretty tight at 35-40 yards. just think its my mount and aim is sloppy. i am on 3" shells now and last year was 2 3/4 so maybe thats the difference? could be miss on first shot and get totally sloppy on second or 3rd also.
cobra bait
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting