12/26-New Years

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

12/26-New Years

Postby cthunter144 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Got out last week before work somedays seeing how work is on the shore and places I hunt are only 15 minutes away so I lucked out. Puddle ducks were almost non existent till the ice yesterday when finally new ducks came in that aren't educated. Quick, fun morning and my buddy got to tag along before I had to leave . Other then that just seeing divers, the occasional sea ducks further out and big groups of geese working the shoreline around here. Bufflehead chile with Vermont maple syrup in the recipe is one of the better meals Iv got from my grandfathers old recipe book. Image
One morning I shot the latest GWT Iv ever seen in CT she must have been lost ! To bad it wasn't a drake would have look great on the wall. Image
Also a banded goose from Quebec banded in 08. Image
ImageImage
Happy New Years everybody stay warm and safe if your getting out the next few days if you find open water should be some great hunts !
cthunter144
hunter

Re: 12/26-New Years

Postby toolmaker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm

the broadbill look pretty close!!

where was the goose banded??

congrates on the teal as well!!!!!

I jumped some ducks this past week and the hole was busting for 15 seconds, and the last bird out was a nice looking drake greenwing teal and he flew right over me at 10 yards. I had an empty gun!! :biggrin:

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby UGADawg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Real nice hunts. Yet to shoot a Buffy this year. Good to see some ice again.
UGADawg
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:09 pm

The goose was banded 10 miles north of Grand Mère, Quebec.
And they sure are close tool ! Hoping to get out when I have enough time not just before work one day and set up a good spread for them. it's a far boat ride back and fourth to that spot and with a SW wind it's near impossible.
The hole sounds nice to bad no gun in hand he would have been great lookin that's how it always works out . Hoping to find a hole like that tomorrow or Saturday if I make it out. Good luck out there
cthunter144
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 pm

cthunter144 wrote:The goose was banded 10 miles north of Grand Mère, Quebec.
And they sure are close tool ! Hoping to get out when I have enough time not just before work one day and set up a good spread for them. it's a far boat ride back and fourth to that spot and with a SW wind it's near impossible.
The hole sounds nice to bad no gun in hand he would have been great lookin that's how it always works out . Hoping to find a hole like that tomorrow or Saturday if I make it out. Good luck out there

whats a "far boat ride"......

its nice to shoot geese banded in canada!!! I shot one this year after watching thousands fly over hear at 80-100 yards up...finally a flock came in low enough to take a poke...took the lead bird, only one I shot at...it was banded in Varennes Quebec , a few years ago.

i did have a gun when the teal flew over.... I had actually just emptied it, and still had time to load another round and shoot....but thats it, only brought four shells....and they were all gone when the teal flew over head!! :sad:

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 pm

I managed three buffies yesterday and WILL make it out tomorrow if the roads aren't too bad. Not harvested a goose yet this year. Plenty of other birds, but no geese....which I need for sausage.

Taking donations....

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:28 pm

Tool- it's about a 20-30 minute boat ride depending on conditions with a 16 foot and a 20 hp, saw a group with a 20 -22 foot center Console and what looked to be a Yamaha 150 on it a few weeks back in a salt marsh was a monster drafted water basically out of the creek now that's what I need for divers what foot and hp do you run this time of year ?

O2fish I'll send you a pm.

Anyone make it out today ? around me is frozen solid only one ramp open that's usually my 2nd or 3rd option for Monday if the rain doesn't help at all over the weekend
cthunter144
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 pm

cthunter144 wrote:Tool- it's about a 20-30 minute boat ride depending on conditions with a 16 foot and a 20 hp, saw a group with a 20 -22 foot center Console and what looked to be a Yamaha 150 on it a few weeks back in a salt marsh was a monster drafted water basically out of the creek now that's what I need for divers what foot and hp do you run this time of year ?

O2fish I'll send you a pm.

Anyone make it out today ? around me is frozen solid only one ramp open that's usually my 2nd or 3rd option for Monday if the rain doesn't help at all over the weekend

CTHunter,

PM replied to. Got out this afternoon and FINALLY made it in around 7:30. LONG story to be told over beers... Short version, cold temps really mess with fuel lies and plastic fuel line clips. Enough said.

We managed a merg (chili) and a pair of blacks.

O2Fsh

P.S. Y'all check your fuel lines and connections. Maybe carry a spare...or two.
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:42 pm

O2, you may have had some water in your gas......usually gas isnt that affected by the cold....sure your cold starts may be harder... and for sure your rubber primer bulb may feel like a rock......there are some brands that stay pliable....but you are correct about anything important, that is PLASTIC..... it has to be babied in the BITTER cold

keep a bunch of hand warmers with you when you hunt....keep some rags and some duct tape. change out your gas in the tank.....

good luck

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 am

Tool,

Yes, the cold made the clip connector from the fuel line to the can brittle and it cracked ever so slightly. However, it was enough to break the seal and we lost our fuel pull. Bulb was perfectly pliable, but with the seal lost it just blew fuel. We stopped trying to avoid getting gasoline everywhere and risking a bigger issue.

We have a well stocked boat box with all you'd mentioned and more. We were comfortable and safe. We're going to add another fuel tank and three spare fuel lines. One for each tank, and one in the boat box.

We've hunted for several years without issue...figured we're due for something. We're always prepared.

Thanks for the Sound advice though.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting