What type of motor

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

What type of motor

Postby Versatilehunt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:59 pm

What type of propeltion would be sufficient ? I finally located a trailer for my 12' row and I typically do not go out in open water on the sound, I stick to Marsh water from Milford to trying down to Norwalk. I only have an electric 55lb torque that I don't know if it's ok in the marsh. I would not attempt in open water or even open river. If I was to get a gas, what HP would be the minimum one would suggest? Short, long shaft?

Thanks,

Versatile

No Sarcasm, although I'm good at it,
Versatilehunt
hunter

Re: What type of motor

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:10 pm

shaft length depends on transom height. Whats the boat made out of?
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 pm

I have a 12' flat bottom aluminum with a 8hp that I think is perfect. It's plenty for 3 guys and gear. By myself it really scoots. I use it in open water (rivers and bays) and marshes and ponds. Basically anywhere I can get the boat.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby Versatilehunt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Yes, it's an aluminum 12" flat bottom V to the front, That's what I was thinking 7-8 HP. wasn't sure about the electric? Anyone with a gas 7HP, I would think a long shaft is preferred but with such a light and small boat, does it make a difference. Just me and the dog the past two years.

Thanks.
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby reddogs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 pm

SquadIrons wrote:I have a 12' flat bottom aluminum with a 8hp that I think is perfect. It's plenty for 3 guys and gear. By myself it really scoots. I use it in open water (rivers and bays) and marshes and ponds. Basically anywhere I can get the boat.

12 foot boat, 3 guys and gear, and big water( or any water over your waders)......Sounds like a really **** dumb thing to do. Did you read the capacity tag on the boat? This is how hunters die in winter.
reddogs
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:19 am

all 12 ft boats are not made equal......the devil is in the details. In any case I think 2 men and a medium sized dog that is in control at all times is the max for a 12 ft boat. if it is a super deep V 12 footer, you might be able to even hang a 15 hp on it....especially if it is a long shaft boat.

to the OP, you can not just put any shaft length outboard on your boat....it has to be the shaft length that is made for your transom height!!!

ei: if you have a 15 " transom, you use a 15 " ( short shaft) outboard, if it is a 21" transom, then you use a long shaft outboard!( 20-21" shaft length)

I think there are plenty of places that you can safely use a 12 foot boat( not a flatbottom though) along the shoreline....but it has to be protected and close to the mainland....and you need to pick your days and watch the changing weather, and ultimately you need to move up to a larger safer boat when you can.

waves is what does in a hunter and his boat.....they come into the boat ....the smaller the boat, the faster is gets overwhelmed with water...high sides are a hunters friend in rough water....BILGE pumps too!....once you put a battery in your boat, get two bilge pumps!! on separate switches. most of us have started small and worked our way up when we could...and many of the older hunters have several size boats for various types of water... good luck

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 am

My boat holds 3 people and over 500lbs. If I push the limit I hunt closer to shore.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:55 am

SquadIrons wrote:My boat holds 3 people and over 500lbs. If I push the limit I hunt closer to shore.

I am pretty sure it is 500lbs which INCLUDES the three people...IE it wont hold 3 200 lbs guys and 500 lbs of gear!

if you didn't put any gear in it and no motor, three guys weighing 180 lbs each is putting the boat at close to max load...so please be carefull

everyone should have a little JON boat in their armada...but they are really dangerous when waves and rough seas are involved..... with the 500 lbs the water will be so close to the top of the gunwales that it could be dangerous.

I used to hunt the Norwalk islands with a fiberglass 12 ft Sears gamefisher.....but at least it was deeper than a JON...

good hunting
the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47 am

For the most part my trips are only a few hundred yards down rivers where the shore is close by on both sides and we hunt from shore. Seldom do I have more than 3 people and seldom have I ever hunted an area where I couldn't stand up. It would certainly be over my waders in many parts but I could at least get to shore if anything happened. I guess I truly don't hunt "open water." I've never hunted in the sound with it. Mostly shallow bays and open estuaries towards river bottoms. Even on windy days the waves aren't much more than tall ripples. Whether or not this makes it ok to push the limit in my boat is a different story, I suppose. But hey, if you ever hunt with me I'll make a deal...we can take your boat haha.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby retired1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:49 pm

SquadIrons - I have an Evinrude 9.9 short shaft that may be just right for your application. I once had it on a
flat bottom V hull John Boat - 14' - and it was perfect.

We could likely come to an arrangement if your interested. Has not been run in two years but ran excellent
when I last used it and its already camo marsh brown.
retired1
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:03 pm

SquadIrons wrote:For the most part my trips are only a few hundred yards down rivers where the shore is close by on both sides and we hunt from shore. Seldom do I have more than 3 people and seldom have I ever hunted an area where I couldn't stand up. It would certainly be over my waders in many parts but I could at least get to shore if anything happened. I guess I truly don't hunt "open water." I've never hunted in the sound with it. Mostly shallow bays and open estuaries towards river bottoms. Even on windy days the waves aren't much more than tall ripples. Whether or not this makes it ok to push the limit in my boat is a different story, I suppose. But hey, if you ever hunt with me I'll make a deal...we can take your boat haha.

sounds much better.... you are probably not doing much that I didn't do when I was a lot younger and finding my way around...

close to shore is always good...but remember guys die when they fall in as little as 20 feet from shore....

having a boat is almost always better than walking in... heck I tow little boats with my big boat and then hunt from the little boat once out in my spots often.....

id be inclinded to take you up on your offer, I love my boat for getting around, although I hate towing it.....

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting